I am broadly interested in condensed-matter physics, but particularly in the way that electrons behave when they are subjected to extreme conditions such as ultra-low temperatures and high magnetic fields. Under such conditions, electrons can display striking collective quantum behavior such as superconductivity, fractionalization of charge, and crystallization. Currently, we are investigating phenomena such as these by studying:
- The physics of low-dimensional structures, especially “van der Waals heterostructures” of two-dimensional crystals (the most familiar of which is graphene), which we build in the lab and then fashion into mesoscopic devices using nanofabrication techniques, and
- A variety of methods for probing these mesoscopic devices, such as electronic transport, capacitance, tunneling spectroscopy, and shot noise.
|Cao, Qingrui||Graduate Studentemail@example.com|
|de la Barrera, Sergio||Postdoctoral Fellowfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Drucker, Nathan||Undergraduate Studentemail@example.com|
|Gopalan, Devashish||Graduate Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Seifert, Joe||Graduate Studentemail@example.com|
|Sinko, Michael||Graduate Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wu, Jingyi||Undergraduate Studentemail@example.com|
- "Massive Dirac Fermions and Hofstadter Butterfly in a van der Waals Heterostructure," B Hunt, JD Sanchez-Yamagishi, AF Young, M Yankowitz, Brian J LeRoy, K Watanabe, T Taniguchi, P Moon, M Koshino, P Jarillo-Herrero, RC Ashoori, Science 340, 1427 (2013)
- "Tunable symmetry breaking and helical edge transport in a graphene quantum spin Hall state,"A. F. Young, J. D. Sanchez-Yamagishi, B. Hunt, S. H. Choi, K. Watanabe, T. Taniguchi, R. C. Ashoori & P. Jarillo-Herrero, Nature 505, 528 (2014)
- "Evidence for a Superglass State in Solid 4He," B. Hunt, E. Pratt, V. Gadagkar, M. Yamashita, A. V. Balatsky, J. C. Davis, Science 324, 632 (2009)
- "Nature of the quantum metal in a two-dimensional crystalline superconductor," A. W. Tsen, B. Hunt, Y. D. Kim, Z. J. Yuan, S. Jia, R. J. Cava, J. Hone, P. Kim, C. R. Dean & A. N. Pasupathy, Nature Physics 12, 208 (2016)
- "Interplay of Rotational, Relaxational, and Shear Dynamics in Solid 4He," EJ Pratt, B Hunt, V Gadagkar, M Yamashita, MJ Graf, AV Balatsky, JC Davis, Science 332, 821 (2011)
- "Tuning Ising superconductivity with layer and spin-orbit coupling in two-dimensional transition-metal dichalcogenides." de la Barrera, Sergio C., Michael R. Sinko, Devashish P. Gopalan, Nikhil Sivadas, Kyle L. Seyler, Kenji Watanabe, Takashi Taniguchi et al. Nature Communications 9 (2018).
- "Proximity effect induced magnetism in graphene." Gopalan, Devashish, Joe Seifert, Amanda Haglund, David Mandrus, Marek Skowronski, and Benjamin Hunt. Bulletin of the American Physical Society (2018).
- Hunt, Benjamin. "Ising superconductivity and quantum metal in the two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides TaS2 and NbSe2." Bulletin of the American Physical Society (2018).
- "Performance of ultra-flat superconducting layered transition metal dichalcogenide tunneling devices." Sinko, Michael, Sergio De La Barrera, Olivia Lanes, Jingyi Wu, Michael Hatridge, and Benjamin Hunt. Bulletin of the American Physical Society(2018).
- "Sharp Tunneling Resonance from Vibrations of a 2D Wigner Crystal." Jang, Joonho, Benjamin Hunt, Loren Pfeiffer, K. West, and Raymond Ashoori. Bulletin of the American Physical Society (2018).