My research interests lie in quantum condensed matter theory. One major direction of my research is to understand and predict material properties (transport, magnetic, and optical) from the viewpoint of Berry phase and topology. In particular, I’m interested in topological phenomena arising from spin-orbit coupling and many-body interactions. These phenomena are often characterized by novel electromagnetic responses, which may be useful for applications in quantum electronics and quantum computing.
- "Coupled Spin and Valley Physics in Monolayers of and Other Group-VI Dichalcogenides." Di Xiao, Gui-Bin Liu, Wanxiang Feng, Xiaodong Xu, Wang Yao. Physical review letters.
- "Valley polarization in MoS2 monolayers by optical pumping." Hualing Zeng, Junfeng Dai, Wang Yao, Di Xiao, Xiaodong Cui. Nature nanotechnology.
- "Berry phase effects on electronic properties." Di Xiao, Ming-Che Chang, Qian Niu. Reviews of modern physics.
- "Spin and pseudospins in layered transition metal dichalcogenides." Xiaodong Xu, Wang Yao, Di Xiao, Tony F Heinz. Nature Physics.
- "Two-dimensional material nanophotonics." Fengnian Xia, Han Wang, Di Xiao, Madan Dubey, Ashwin Ramasubramaniam. Nature Photonics.
- "Spin chirality fluctuation in two-dimensional ferromagnets with perpendicular magnetic anisotropy." Wenbo Wang, Matthew W Daniels, Zhaoliang Liao, Yifan Zhao, Jun Wang, Gertjan Koster, Guus Rijnders, Cui-Zu Chang, Di Xiao, Weida Wu. Nature materials.
- "Topological spin Hall effects and tunable skyrmion Hall effects in uniaxial antiferromagnetic insulators." Matthew W Daniels, Weichao Yu, Ran Cheng, Jiang Xiao, Di Xiao. Physical Review B.
- "Nonreciprocal Directional Dichroism Induced by the Quantum Metric Dipole." Yang Gao, Di Xiao. Physical Review Letters.
- "Strain-fluctuation-induced near quantization of valley Hall conductivity in graphene systems." Wen-Yu Shan, Di Xiao. Physical Review B.
- "Magnetic domain wall skyrmions." Ran Cheng, Maxwell Li, Arjun Sapkota, Anish Rai, Ashok Pokhrel, Tim Mewes, Claudia Mewes, Di Xiao, Marc De Graef, Vincent Sokalski. Physical Review B.