In today’s big-data era, trillions of sensors will connect every aspect of our lives to the Internet, constantly producing and processing an overwhelming amount of data. Xiong is looking for novel materials for energy-efficient transistor and memory solutions with on-chip thermal management and 3D integration.
Specifically, Xiong is working on:
- building wafer-scale energy-efficient 2D transistors, tackling challenges in synthesis, assembly and optimization;
- characterizing nanoscale thermal transport in 2D materials, maximizing thermoelectric efficiency through heterogeneous stacking and intercalations for energy harvesting and developing on-chip thermal solutions;
- achieving 3D integration of novel low-power memory (resistive and phase change memory) with logic, building energy-efficient flexible memory devices and exploring alternative memory structure with intercalation in layered 2D materials.
- "Low-Power Switching of Phase-Change Materials with Carbon Nanotube Electrodes," Feng Xiong, Albert D. Liao, David Estrada, Eric Pop, Science 332, 568 (2011)
- "Selective deposition and stable encapsulation of lithium through heterogeneous seeded growth," Kai Yan, Zhenda Lu, Hyun-Wook Lee, Feng Xiong, Po-Chun Hsu, Yuzhang Li, Jie Zhao, Steven Chu, Yi Cui, Nature Energy 1, no. 3 (2016): 16010.
- "Ballistic to diffusive crossover of heat flow in graphene ribbons," Myung-Ho Bae, Zuanyi Li, Zlatan Aksamija, Pierre N Martin, Feng Xiong, Zhun-Yong Ong, Irena Knezevic & Eric Pop Nature Communications 4, 1734 (2013)
- "Phase change materials and phase change memory," Simone Raoux, Feng Xiong, Matthias Wuttig, Eric Pop, MRS Bulletin 39, 703 (2014)
- "Entrapment of Polysulfides by a Black-Phosphorus-Modified Separator for Litium-Sulfur Batteries," Sun, J., Sun, Y., Pasta, M., (...), Xiong, F., Cui, Y. Advanced Materials 28(44), 9797-9803 (2016)
- "An electrochemical thermal transistor." Sood, Aditya, Feng Xiong, Shunda Chen, Haotian Wang, Daniele Selli, Jinsong Zhang, Connor J. McClellan et al. Nature communications 9, no. 1 (2018): 4510.
- "Thermal transport across graphene step junctions." 2Rojo, Miguel Muñoz, Zuanyi Li, Charles Sievers, Alex C. Bornstein, Eilam Yalon, Sanchit Deshmukh, Sam Vaziri et al. D Materials 6, no. 1 (2018): 011005.
- "Temperature-Dependent Thermal Boundary Conductance of Monolayer MoS2 by Raman Thermometry, " Eilam Yalon , Özgür Burak Aslan, Kirby K. H. Smithe , Connor J. McClellan , Saurabh V. Suryavanshi, Feng Xiong, Aditya Sood, Christopher M. Neumann , Xiaoqing Xu, Kenneth E. Goodson, Tony F. Heinz, and Eric Pop, Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9, 43013 (2017)
- "Energy Dissipation in Monolayer MoS2 Electronics," Eilam Yalon, Connor J. McClellan, Kirby K. H. Smithe, Miguel Muñoz Rojo, Runjie Lily Xu, Saurabh V. Suryavanshi, Alex J. Gabourie, Christopher M. Neumann, Feng Xiong, Amir Barati Farimani, and Eric Pop, Nano Lett., Article ASAP
- "SANTA: Self-aligned nanotrench ablation via Joule heating for probing sub-20 nm devices," Feng Xiong, Sanchit Deshmukh, Sungduk Hong, Yuan Dai, Ashkan Behnam, Feifei Lian, Eric Pop, Nano Research 9, 2950 (2016)