In today’s big-data era, trillions of sensors will connect every aspect of our lives to the Internet, constantly producing and processing an overwhelming amount of data. Xiong is looking for novel materials for energy-efficient transistor and memory solutions with on-chip thermal management and 3D integration.
Specifically, Xiong is working on:
- building wafer-scale energy-efficient 2D transistors, tackling challenges in synthesis, assembly and optimization;
- characterizing nanoscale thermal transport in 2D materials, maximizing thermoelectric efficiency through heterogeneous stacking and intercalations for energy harvesting and developing on-chip thermal solutions;
- achieving 3D integration of novel low-power memory (resistive and phase change memory) with logic, building energy-efficient flexible memory devices and exploring alternative memory structure with intercalation in layered 2D materials.
- "Low-Power Switching of Phase-Change Materials with Carbon Nanotube Electrodes," Feng Xiong, Albert D. Liao, David Estrada, Eric Pop, Science 332, 568 (2011)
- "Ballistic to diffusive crossover of heat flow in graphene ribbons," Myung-Ho Bae, Zuanyi Li, Zlatan Aksamija, Pierre N Martin, Feng Xiong, Zhun-Yong Ong, Irena Knezevic & Eric Pop Nature Communications 4, 1734 (2013)
- "Using nanoscale thermocapillary flows to create arrays of purely semiconducting single-walled carbon nanotubes," Sung Hun Jin, Simon N. Dunham, Jizhou Song, Xu Xie, Ji-hun Kim, Chaofeng Lu, Ahmad Islam, Frank Du, Jaeseong Kim, Johnny Felts, Yuhang Li, Feng Xiong, Muhammad A. Wahab, Monisha Menon, Eugene Cho, Kyle L. Grosse, Dong Joon Lee, Ha Uk Chung, Eric Pop, Muhammad A. Alam, William P. King, Yonggang Huang & John A. Rogers, Nature Nanotechnology 8, 347 (2013)
- "Thermal dissipation and variability in electrical breakdown of carbon nanotube devices," Albert Liao, Rouholla Alizadegan, Zhun-Yong Ong, Sumit Dutta, Feng Xiong, K. Jimmy Hsia, and Eric Pop, Phys. Rev. B 82, 205406 (2010)
- "Phase change materials and phase change memory," Simone Raoux, Feng Xiong, Matthias Wuttig, Eric Pop, MRS Bulletin 39, 703 (2014)
- "Temperature-Dependent Thermal Boundary Conductance of Monolayer MoS2 by Raman Thermometry, " Eilam Yalon , Özgür Burak Aslan, Kirby K. H. Smithe , Connor J. McClellan , Saurabh V. Suryavanshi, Feng Xiong, Aditya Sood, Christopher M. Neumann , Xiaoqing Xu, Kenneth E. Goodson, Tony F. Heinz, and Eric Pop, Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 9, 43013 (2017)
- "Energy Dissipation in Monolayer MoS2 Electronics," Eilam Yalon, Connor J. McClellan, Kirby K. H. Smithe, Miguel Muñoz Rojo, Runjie Lily Xu, Saurabh V. Suryavanshi, Alex J. Gabourie, Christopher M. Neumann, Feng Xiong, Amir Barati Farimani, and Eric Pop, Nano Lett., Article ASAP
- "SANTA: Self-aligned nanotrench ablation via Joule heating for probing sub-20 nm devices," Feng Xiong, Sanchit Deshmukh, Sungduk Hong, Yuan Dai, Ashkan Behnam, Feifei Lian, Eric Pop, Nano Research 9, 2950 (2016)
- "Lateral and Vertical Two-Dimensional Layered Topological Insulator Heterostructures" Yanbin Li, Jinsong Zhang, Guangyuan Zheng, Yongming Sun, Seung Sae Hong, Feng Xiong, Shuang Wang, Hye Ryoung Lee, and Yi Cui, ACS Nano 9, 10916 (2015)
- "Nanoscale phase change memory with graphene ribbon electrodes" Ashkan Behnam, Feng Xiong, Andrea Cappelli, Ning C. Wang, Enrique A. Carrion, Sungduk Hong, Yuan Dai, Austin S. Lyons, Edmond K. Chow, Enrico Piccinini, Carlo Jacoboni and Eric Pop, Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 123508 (2015)