Franz Franchetti is the Kavčić-Moura Professor of Electrical & Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University. He received the Dipl.-Ing. (M.Sc.) degree in Technical Mathematics and the Dr. techn. (Ph.D.) degree in Computational Mathematics from the Vienna University of Technology in 2000 and 2003, respectively. In 2006 he was member of the team winning the Gordon Bell Prize (Peak Performance Award) and in 2010 he was member of the team winning the HPC Challenge Class II Award (most productive system). In 2013 he was awarded the CIT Dean's Early Career Fellowship by the College of Engineering of Carnegie Mellon University.
Dr. Franchetti's research focuses on automatic performance tuning and program generation for emerging parallel platforms and algorithm/hardware co-synthesis. He targets multicore CPUs, clusters and high-performance systems (HPC), graphics processors (GPUs), field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs), FPGA-acceleration for CPUs, and logic-in-memory and 3DIC chip design. Within the Spiral effort, his research goal is to enable automatic generation of highly optimized software libraries for important kernel functionality. In other collaborative research threads, Dr. Franchetti is investigating the applicability of domain-specific transformations within standard compilers and the application of HPC in smart grids and material sciences. He has led four DARPA projects in the BRASS, HACMS, PERFECT, and PAPPA programs and is Co-PI in the DOE ExaScale Project and XStack program as well as DARPA DPRIVE. Recent interests include leveraging the SPIRAL system (www.spiral.net) for quantum computing. Details can be found here: http://spiral.net/software/
Open Source SPIRAL System
Open Source SPIRAL is available here under non-viral license (BSD-style license). This is an initial version, and there will be an ongoing effort to open source whole system. Please let us know which parts of SPIRAL you are most interested in. Commercial support is available via SpiralGen, Inc.
SPIRAL tutorial at HPEC 2019. See also [Overview], [Walk-
- "SPIRAL: Extreme Performance Portability." F. Franchetti, T. M. Low, D. T. Popovici, R. M. Veras, D. G. Spampinato, J. R. Johnson, M. Püschel, J. C. Hoe, J. M. F. Moura. Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 106, No. 11, 2018. Special Issue on From High Level Specification to High Performance Code
- "Discrete Fourier Transform on Multicores: Algorithms and Automatic Implementation." F. Franchetti, Y. Voronenko, S. Chellappa, J. M. F. Moura, and M. Püschel. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, special issue on “Signal Processing on Platforms with Multiple Cores”, 2009.
- "SPIRAL: Code generation for DSP transforms." Markus Puschel, José MF Moura, Jeremy R Johnson, David Padua, Manuela M Veloso, Bryan W Singer, Jianxin Xiong, Franz Franchetti, Aca Gacic, Yevgen Voronenko, Kang Chen, Robert W Johnson, Nicholas Rizzolo. Proceedings of the IEEE.
- "Energy-efficient abundant-data computing: The N3XT 1,000 x." Mohamed M Sabry Aly, Mingyu Gao, Gage Hills, Chi-Shuen Lee, Greg Pitner, Max M Shulaker, Tony F Wu, Mehdi Asheghi, Jeff Bokor, Franz Franchetti, Kenneth E Goodson, Christos Kozyrakis, Igor Markov, Kunle Olukotun, Larry Pileggi, Eric Pop, Jan Rabaey, Christopher Ré, H-S Philip Wong, Subhasish Mitra. Computer.
- "Data reorganization in memory using 3D-stacked DRAM." Berkin Akin, Franz Franchetti, James C Hoe. ACM SIGARCH Computer Architecture News.
- "Mathematical foundations of the GraphBLAS." Jeremy Kepner, Peter Aaltonen, David Bader, Aydin Buluç, Franz Franchetti, John Gilbert, Dylan Hutchison, Manoj Kumar, Andrew Lumsdaine, Henning Meyerhenke, Scott McMillan, Carl Yang, John D Owens, Marcin Zalewski, Timothy Mattson, Jose Moreira. 2016 IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC).
- "A stencil compiler for short-vector simd architectures." Tom Henretty, Richard Veras, Franz Franchetti, Louis-Noël Pouchet, Jagannathan Ramanujam, Ponnuswamy Sadayappan. Proceedings of the 27th international ACM conference on International conference on supercomputing.
- "A compiler for sound floating-point computations using affine arithmetic." Joao Rivera, Franz Franchetti, Markus Püschel. 2022 IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO).
- "High performance merge sort with scalable parallelization and full-throughput reduction." Fazle Sadi, Larry Pileggi, Franz Franchetti. US Patent 11,249,720.
- "Graph Embedding and Field Based Detection of Non-Local Webs in Large Scale Free Networks." Michael E Franusich, Franz Franchetti. 2021 IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC).
- "Optimized Quantum Circuit Generation with SPIRAL." Scott Mionis, Franz Franchetti, Jason Larkin. 2021 IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC).
- "An Auto-tuning with Adaptation of A64 Scalable Vector Extension for SPIRAL." Naruya Kitai, Daisuke Takahashi, Franz Franchetti, Takahiro Katagiri, Satoshi Ohshima, Toru Nagai. 2021 IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium Workshops (IPDPSW).