George E. Klinzing earned his B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of Pittsburgh in 1959 and was awarded a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University in 1963. He has spent his career researching materials processing, specifically pneumatic conveying. Administrative interests revolve around fostering an environment of collaboration, support, and encouragement for research faculty, staff, and students. Activities include yearly trips with faculty to visit federal agency officials in Washington, D.C.; counseling researchers in their innovation commercialization efforts; and overseeing policy initiatives aimed at creating fair and equitable collaboration among Pitt researchers, industry, and government. He has given over 200 technical presentations at professional meetings, universities, and industries both nationally and internationally, and has advised 25 Ph.D. students and 54 M.S. students.
- "Pneumatic conveying of solids: a theoretical and practical approach," Klinzing, George E., Farid Rizk, R. Marcus, and L. S. Leung, Vol. 8. (2011).
- "Incipient motion of solid particles in horizontal pneumatic conveying," Cabrejos, Francisco J., and George E. Klinzing, Powder Technology 72, no. 1 (1992)
- "Pickup and saltation mechanisms of solid particles in horizontal pneumatic transport," Cabrejos, Francisco J., and George E. Klinzing, Powder technology 79, no. 2 (1994)
- "Pressure fluctuations in pneumatic conveying systems," Dhodapkar, Shrikant V., and George E. Klinzing, Powder Technology 74, no. 2 (1993)
- "Characterization of bulk solids to assess dense phase pneumatic conveying," Sanchez, Luis, Nestor Vasquez, George E. Klinzing, and Shrikant Dhodapkar., Powder Technology 138, no. 2-3 (2003)
- "Observations of dense phase pneumatic conveying using an inertial measurement unit." Lavrinec, A., Orozovic, O., Williams, K., (...), Clark, W., Wang, Z. Powder Technology
343, pp. 436-444 (2019).
- "A review of pneumatic conveying status, advances and projections." Klinzing, G.E. Powder Technology 333, pp. 78-90 (2018).
- " Historical review of pneumatic conveying," Klinzing, G.E., KONA Powder and Particle Journal, (35), 150-159, (2018)
- "A correlation for particle velocities in pneumatic conveying," Klinzing, G.E., & Basha, O.M., Powder Technology, 310, 201-204, (2017)
- "Fine coal and filter cake characterization by image analysis techniques as related to filtration and dewatering processes." Klinzing, G.E. EFCE Publication Series (European Federation of Chemical Engineering)
(16 (EFCE Event n 241)), pp. D4. HH. 1-D4. HH. 19 (2017).