Owing to the recent development of material growth methods including the pulsed laser deposition (PLD) and molecular beam epitaxy (MBE), atomically sharp interfaces between materials become available. At these interfaces, the electron-electron interaction is greatly enhanced, leading to novel phases including metal-insulator transition, superconductivity, magnetism and spin-orbit interaction.
A notable example is the (001) LaAlO3/SrTiO3 (LAO/STO) interface, where a polar discontinuity drives electronic interface reconstruction and leads to a 2D electron liquid (2DEL) at the interface. The interface conductivity is critically dependent on the LAO thickness. Below a critical thickness 4 unit cell the interface is insulating, otherwise the interface is conducting.
Since the discovery of the 2DEL in 2004, intense interests have been casted on this area. Up to now, the knowledge on this interface is growing rapidly, and so do the debates. The 2DEL is gate tunable, with a critical LAO thickness dependence. The interface is superconducting, an inherent property of STO[3, 4]. More interestingly, it has a similar superconducting phase diagram as the high-Tc superconductor. Although both LAO and STO are non-magnetic, the interface is magnetic[5, 6]. More interestingly, magnetism and superconductivity can co-exist[7-9]. Owing to the inversion symmetric breaking, the interface has strong tunable spin-orbit interaction[10, 11]. Provided all these interesting phases, we invented the conductive-AFM lithography method that allows us to fabricate nanostructures on demand, effectively programing all these properties into nanoscale. Indeed, it is fun to watch all these properties interplay at nanoscale.
- A. Ohtomo, and H. Y. Hwang, Nature 427, 423 (2004).
- S. Thiel et al., Science 313, 1942 (2006).
- N. Reyren et al., Science 317, 1196 (2007).
- A. D. Caviglia et al., Nature 456, 624 (2008).
- A. Brinkman et al., Nat Mater 6, 493 (2007).
- Ariando et al., Nature communications 2, 188 (2011).
- J. A. Bert et al., Nat Phys 7, 767 (2011).
- D. A. Dikin et al., Physical Review Letters 107 (2011).
- L. Li et al., Nat Phys advance on (2011).
- A. D. Caviglia et al., Physical Review Letters 104, 126803 (2010).
- M. Ben Shalom et al., Physical Review Letters 104, 126802 (2010).
- "Electron pairing without superconductivity," Guanglei Cheng, Michelle Tomczyk, Shicheng Lu, Josh P. Veazey, Mengchen Huang, Patrick Irvin, Sangwoo Ryu, Hyungwoo Lee, Chang-Beom, Eom, C. Steve Hellberg, Jeremy Levy, Nature 521,196 (2015)
- "Writing and Low-Temperature Characterization of Oxide Nanostructures," Akash Levy, Feng Bi, Mengchen Huang, Shicheng Lu, Michelle Tomczyk, Guanglei Cheng, Patrick Irvin, Jeremy Levy, J. Vis. Exp. 89, e51886 (2014)
- "Anomalous Transport in Sketched Oxide Nanostructures," Guanglei Cheng, Josh Veazey, Patrick Irvin, Cheng Cen, Daniel Bogorin, Feng Bi, Mengchen Huang, Chung-Wung Bark, Sangwoo Ryu, Kwang-Hwan Cho, Chang-Beom Eom and Jeremy Levy, Physcial Review X, 3, 011021 (2013)
- "Sketched oxide single-electron transistor," Cheng, G., Siles, P.F., Bi, F., Cen, C., Bogorin, D.F., Bark, C.W, Folkman, C.M., et al, Nature Nanotechnology 6, no. 6 (2011)
- "Electron pairing without superconductivity," Cheng, G., Tomczyk, M., Lu, S., Veazey, J.P., Huang, M., Irvin, P., Ryu, S., et al, Nature 521, no. 7551 (2015)
- "Anomalous mobility in LaAlO3/SrTiO3 nanowires," Irvin, P., Veazy, J.P., Cheng, G., Lu, S., Bark, C.W., Ryu, S., Eom, C.B., Levy, J., Nano Letters 13, no. 2 (2013)
- "Anomalous transport in sketched nanostructures at the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 interface," Cheng, G., Veazy, J.P., Irvin, P., Cen, C., Bogorin, D.F., Bi, F., Huang, M., et al, Physical Review X 3, no. 1 (2013)
- "Micrometer-scale ballistic transport of electron pairs in LaAlO3/SrTiO3 nanowires," Tomczyk, M., Cheng, G., Lee, H., Lu, S., Annadi, A., Veazy, J.P., Huang, M., et al, Physical Review Letters 117, no. 9 (2016)
- "Quantized Ballistic Transport of Electrons and Electron Pairs in LaAlO3/SrTiO3Nanowires." Anil Annadi, Guanglei Cheng, Hyungwoo Lee, Jung-Woo Lee, Shicheng Lu, Anthony Tylan-Tyler, Megan Briggeman, Michelle Tomczyk, Mengchen Huang, David Pekker, Chang-Beom Eom, Patrick Irvin, and Jeremy Levy. Nano Letters 18 (7), 4473-4481 (2018).
- "Graphene-Complex-Oxide Nanoscale Device Concepts." Giriraj Jnawali, Hyungwoo Lee, Jung-Woo Lee, Mengchen Huang, Jen-Feng Hsu, Feng Bi, Rongpu Zhou, Guanglei Cheng, Brian D’Urso, Patrick Irvin, Chang-Beom Eom, and Jeremy Levy. ACS Nano 2018 12 (6), 6128-6136
- "One-Dimensional Nature of Superconductivity at the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Interface." Yun-Yi Pai, Hyungwoo Lee, Jung-Woo Lee, Anil Annadi, Guanglei Cheng, Shicheng Lu, Michelle Tomczyk, Mengchen Huang, Chang-Beom Eom, Patrick Irvin, and Jeremy Levy. Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 147001 (2018)
- "Shubnikov–de Haas–like Quantum Oscillations in Artificial One-Dimensional
LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Electron Channels." Guanglei Cheng, Anil Annadi, Shicheng Lu, Hyungwoo Lee, Jung-Woo Lee, Mengchen Huang, Chang-Beom Eom, Patrick Irvin, and Jeremy Levy. Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 076801 (2018)
- "Direct imaging of sketched conductive nanostructures at the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 interface." Zhanzhi Jiang1, Xiaoyu Wu, Hyungwoo Lee, Jung-Woo Lee2 Jianan Li, Guanglei Cheng, Chang-Beom Eom, Jeremy Levy, and Keji Lai. Appl. Phys. Lett. 111, 233104 (2017)