Heng Ban's research covers topics in thermal-fluid sciences, materials properties, sensors and measurement, and energy sciences. His recent focus has been to understand the relationship between material microstructural change and its thermal performance, particularly experimental and computational material thermophysical properties and measurement technique development. The research has applications in nuclear fuels and materials, manufacturing, micro-scale measurements, and development of hot-cell and/or in-pile sensors and instrumentations.
- "Convection—diffusion controlled laminar micro flames," H. Ban, S. Venkatesh, K. Sait, Journal of Heat Transfer, 116, 954 (1994)
- "Impacts of pH and ammonia on the leaching of Cu(II) and Cd(II) from coal fly ash," J. Wang, H. Ban, X. Teng, H. Wang, K. Ladwig, Chemosphere, 64, 1892 (2006)
- "Characterizing the metal adsorption capability of a class F coal fly ash,"J. Wang, X.b, Wang, H. Teng, H. Ban, Environmental Science and Technology, 38, 6710 (2004)
- "Dry triboelectrostatic beneficiation of fly ash," H. Ban, T.X. Li, J.C. Hower, J.L. Schaefer, J.M. Stencel, Fuel, 76, 801 (1997)
- "Adsorption of arsenic (V) onto fly ash: A speciation-based approach," Wang, Jianmin, Tian Wang, Joel G. Burken, Charles C. Chusuei, Heng Ban, Ken Ladwig, C. P. Huang. Chemosphere 72, no. 3 (2008): 381-388.
- "Demonstration of LOTUS Multiphysics BEPU Analysis Framework for LB-LOCA Simulations." Blakely, C., H. Zhang, R. Szilard, A. Epiney, R. Vaghetto, and H. Ban. Annals of Nuclear Energy 122: (2018) 8-22.
- "Electronic contribution in heat transfer at metal-semiconductor and metal silicide-semiconductor interfaces." Hamaoui, Georges, Nicolas Horny, Zilong Hua, Tianqi Zhu, Jean-François Robillard, Austin Fleming, Heng Ban, and Mihai Chirtoc. Scientific reports 8, no. 1 (2018): 11352.
- "Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Gap Thermal Conductance." Zhang, Lin, and Heng Ban. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society 118. (2018).
- "Thermal Characterization of Alkali Treated Kenaf Fibers and Kenaf-Epoxy Composites," , L. Gardner, T. Munro, E. Villarreal, K. Harris, T. Fronk, & H. Ban, Fibers and Polymers 19, 393 (2018)
- " Sensitivity analysis of VERA-CS and FRAPCON coupling in a multiphysics environment," C. Blakely, H. Zhang, & H. Ban, Annals of Nuclear Energy, 111, 683 (2018)