Hong Koo Kim
The Kim group’s research has been centered on developing new photonic and electronic devices at micro and nanoscales involving various functional materials such as rare-earth doped oxides, wide bandgap semiconductors, ferroelectric films, and plasmonic nanostructured materials.
Their research in the nanotechnology area investigates multiscale vertical integration of nanostructures into hierarchical systems. Single-domain ordered nanochannel arrays with controlled symmetry have been developed on macroscale area of wafer surface using a directed self-organization method, and have been investigated as an interaction medium in optical, electrical, chemical, and biological domains. Surface-plasmon phenomena occurring in nano-optic structures are of particular interest, since many novel properties can be derived from those and can be incorporated into an on-chip configuration for interaction with other functional materials.
The Kim group investigates plasmonics as an enabling technology for implementing nanosystems-on-a-chip that offer multifunctionality across the heterogeneous domains.
- "Injection of 2D electron gas into a quantum-dot organic light-emitting diode structure on silicon substrate," Emon, D.H., Kim, M., Sharbati, M.T., Kim, H.K.,
Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 34, 06KJ01 (2016)
- "Atomic emission spectroscopy of electrically triggered exploding nanoparticle analytes on graphene/SiO2/Si substrate," Liu, S., Kim, M., Kim, H.K., Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B 34, 06KA04 (2016)
- "Ultraviolet-enhanced photodetection in a graphene/SiO2/Si capacitor structure with a vacuum channel," Kim, M., Kim, H.K., Journal of Applied Physics, 118, 104504 (2015)
- "Anomalous refraction of light through slanted-nanoaperture arrays on metal surface," Kim, M., Jung, Y.S., Xi, Y., Kim, H.K., Applied Physics Letters, 107, 101107 (2015)
- "Space charge neutralization by electron-transparent suspended graphene," Srisonphan, S., Kim, M., Kim, H.K., Scientific Reports, 4, 3764 (2014)
- "Femtosecond imaging of surface plasmon dynamics in a nanostructured silver film," Kubo, Atsushi, Ken Onda, Hrvoje Petek, Zhijun Sun, Yun S. Jung, and Hong Koo Kim, Nano letters 5, no. 6 (2005)
- "Refractive transmission of light and beam shaping with metallic nano-optic lenses," Sun, Zhijun, and Hong Koo Kim, Applied Physics Letters 85, no. 4 (2004)
- "Ultraviolet detection with ultrathin ZnO epitaxial films treated with oxygen plasma," Liu, Mingjiao, and Hong Koo Kim, Applied Physics Letters 84, no. 2 (2004)
- "Epitaxial growth of ZnO films on Si substrates using an epitaxial GaN buffer," Nahhas, Ahmed, Hong Koo Kim, and Jean Blachere, Applied Physics Letters 78, no. 11 (2001)
- "Growth of ordered, single-domain, alumina nanopore arrays with holographically patterned aluminum films," Sun, Zhijun, and Hong Koo Kim, Applied Physics Letters 81, no. 18 (2002)
- "Electrically-triggered micro-explosion in a graphene/SiO2 /Si structure." Liu, S., Kim, M., Kim, H.K. Scientific Reports
- "Impact ionization in a graphene/SiO2 /Si structure under high-field pulsed drive." Liu, S., Kim, H.K. 2017 IEEE 17th International Conference on Nanotechnology, NANO 2017
8117315, pp. 449-452 (2017).
- "Suspended nano scale QD-OLED on Si substrate." Emon, D.H., Kim, H.K. 2017 IEEE 17th International Conference on Nanotechnology, NANO 2017
8117356, pp. 974-978 (2017).
- "Low-loss plasmonic metamaterial waveguides." Shi, Y., Kim, H.K. 2017 IEEE 17th International Conference on Nanotechnology, NANO 2017
8117318, pp. 890-893 (2017).
- "Fabrication of nanoscale quantum-dot organic light-emitting devices on Si substrate." Emon, D.H., Kim, H.K. 2017 IEEE 17th International Conference on Nanotechnology, NANO 2017
8117316, pp. 961-964 (2017).