James R McKone
The McKone group combines basic and applied research in experimental electrochemistry to advance promising technologies for sustainable energy and next-generation electronics. To this end, we are pursuing research projects related to electrochemical catalysis, battery energy storage, solar photochemistry, 2-dimensional semiconductors, and interdisciplinary chemical reaction engineering & design.
Our work draws on an interdisciplinary set of tools and expertise, including:
- electroanalytical chemistry
- colloidal, ceramic, and metallurgical materials synthesis
- inorganic/organometallic chemistry
- surface science
- optical and x-ray spectroscopies
- nanofabrication and characterization
- engineering analysis and design
- "Solar water splitting cells." Michael G Walter, Emily L Warren, James R McKone, Shannon W Boettcher, Qixi Mi, Elizabeth A Santori, Nathan S Lewis. Chemical reviews.
- "Nanostructured nickel phosphide as an electrocatalyst for the hydrogen evolution reaction." Eric J Popczun, James R McKone, Carlos G Read, Adam J Biacchi, Alex M Wiltrout, Nathan S Lewis, Raymond E Schaak. Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- "Will solar-driven water-splitting devices see the light of day?." James R McKone, Nathan S Lewis, Harry B Gray. Chemistry of Materials.
- "Photoelectrochemical hydrogen evolution using Si microwire arrays." Shannon W Boettcher, Emily L Warren, Morgan C Putnam, Elizabeth A Santori, Daniel Turner-Evans, Michael D Kelzenberg, Michael G Walter, James R McKone, Bruce S Brunschwig, Harry A Atwater, Nathan S Lewis. Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- "Ni–Mo nanopowders for efficient electrochemical hydrogen evolution." James R McKone, Bryce F Sadtler, Caroline A Werlang, Nathan S Lewis, Harry B Gray. ACS catalysis.
- "Recent Insights into Electrocatalytic Reactions Under Exotic Conditions." James R McKone, Tejal Sawant, Rituja Patil, Evan V Miu, Dean Miller. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting.
- "Hydrogen Evolution Electrocatalysis with Core-Shell Ni-Mo@ Oxides." Rituja Patil, Stephen House, Aayush Mantri, Judith C Yang, James R McKone. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting.
- "Synthesis of an Alloy-Based Ni-Fe/C Catalyst for the Alkaline Oxygen Evolution Reaction." Margaret Orr, Rituja Patil, James R McKone. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting.
- "Synthesis of Molybdenum Trioxide and Characteristics of HxMoO3 Bronze Formation." Rebekah Habeger, Evan V Miu, James R McKone. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting.
- "Towards Efficient and Stable Nifeox Alkaline Oxygen Evolution Electrocatalysts." Jeffrey Hoffmann, Margret Orr, Rituja Patil, James R McKone. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting.