James R McKone
The McKone group combines basic and applied research in experimental electrochemistry to advance promising technologies for sustainable energy and next-generation electronics. To this end, we are pursuing research projects related to electrochemical catalysis, battery energy storage, solar photochemistry, 2-dimensional semiconductors, and interdisciplinary chemical reaction engineering & design.
Our work draws on an interdisciplinary set of tools and expertise, including:
- electroanalytical chemistry
- colloidal, ceramic, and metallurgical materials synthesis
- inorganic/organometallic chemistry
- surface science
- optical and x-ray spectroscopies
- nanofabrication and characterization
- engineering analysis and design
- “Solar water splitting cells,”” M. G. Walter, E. L. Warren, J. R. McKone, S. W. Boettcher, Q Mi, E. A. Santori,and Nathan S. Lewis, Chemical reviews 110 (11), 6446 (2010)
- “Nanostructured nickel phosphide as an electrocatalyst for the hydrogen evolution reaction,” E. J. Popczun, J. R. McKone, C. G. Read, A. J. Biacchi, A. M. Wiltrout, N. S. Lewis and Raymond E. Schaak, Journal of the American Chemical Society 135, 9267 (2013)
- “Will solar-driven water-splitting devices see the light of day?,” J. R. McKone, N . S . Lewis, H . B. Gray, Chemistry of Materials 26, 407 (2014)
- “Photoelectrochemical hydrogen evolution using Si microwire arrays,” S. W. Boettcher, E. L. Warren, M. C. Putnam, E. A. Santori, D. Turner-Evans, Michael D. Kelzenberg, Michael G. Walter, James R. McKone, Bruce S. Brunschwig, Harry A. Atwater, and Nathan S. Lewis, Journal of the American Chemical Society 133, 1216 (2011)
- “Ni–Mo nanopowders for efficient electrochemical hydrogen evolution,” J. R. McKone, B. F. Sadtler, C. A. Werlang, N. S. Lewis, H. B. Gray, ACS catalysis 3, 166 (2013)
- "Enhancing the Performance of Ni-Mo Alkaline Hydrogen Evolution Electrocatalysts with Carbon Supports," RB Patil, A Mantri, SD House, JC Yang, and JR McKone. ACS Applied Energy Materials 2.4 (2019)
- "Flow Battery Electroanalysis: Hydrodynamic Voltammetry of Aqueous Fe(III/II) Redox Couples at Polycrystalline Pt and Au," Tejal Sawant, and James R. McKone ,ACS Appl. Energy Mater. (2018)
- "Carbon Supports Mitigate Resistivity Limitations in Ni–Mo Alkaline Hydrogen Evolution Electrocatalysts," Rituja B. Patil, Aayush Mantri, Stephen D. House, Judith C. Yang, and James R. McKone, ChemRxiv (2018)
- "Elucidating the active sites for CO 2 electroreduction on ligand-protected Au 25 nanoclusters." Austin, Natalie, Shuo Zhao, James R. McKone, Rongchao Jin, and Giannis Mpourmpakis. Catalysis Science & Technology 8, no. 15 (2018): 3795-3805.
- "A Benchmarking Approach for Routine Determination of Flow Battery Kinetics", Tejal Sawant, James McKone,ChemRxiv. (2018).