Information Storage Systems Physics
As Associate Director of the Data Storage Systems Center at Carnegie Mellon, Professor Bain is interested in storage systems architectures and performance specifications, as they set the requirements for storage devices. Specifically, he is interested in how systems specifications set the performance requirements for recording heads - the transducers that must deliver energy to the recording medium and thus change its state in a reproducible way. Within this context Prof Bain has been an avid particpant in roadmapping and workshops on magnetic disk technology, magnetic tape technology, optical disk technology and probe storage technology.
Thin Films and Devices for Information Storage Systems
Within information storage systems like hard disk drives, tape drives, etc., there are core technologies in thin film materials and devices that are used to fabricate heads and media. Prof Bain has an active research program in the fabrication of and characterization of these materials and devices. Specific examples of recent areas of activity are:
- Thin film FeCo alloys for high magnetization write poles
- Magnetic pole dynamics in high speed write heads
- Very small aperture lasers for near field optical and heat assisted magnetic recording
- Field emission assisted magnetic probe recording
- Nanostructured magnetic disk media using self-organized nanomasks
- Sputtered thin film media for tape using CoCrPt/SiO2 composite media
- Cr-SrZrO3 materials for resistance switching applications
- "Single-chip computers with microelectromechanical systems-based magnetic memory," L. Richard Carley, James A. Bain, Gary K. Fedder, David W. Greve, David F. Guillou, Michael S. C. Lu, Tamal Mukherjee, Suresh Santhanam, Leon Abelmann and Seungook Min, J. Appl. Phys. 87, 6680 (2000)
- "Stress determination in textured thin films using X-ray diffraction," B.M. Clemens and J.A. Bain, MRS Bulletin 17 (07), 46-51 (1992)
- "Influence of stress and texture on soft magnetic properties of thin films," P Zou, W Yu, JA Bain, Magnetics IEEE Transactions on 38 (5), 3501 (2002)
- "Imaging of quantized magnetostatic modes using spatially resolved ferromagnetic resonance," S. Tamaru, J. A. Bain, R. J. M. van de Veerdonk, T. M. Crawford, M. Covington and M. H. Kryder, J. Appl. Phys. 91, 8034 (2002)
- "Imaging of optical field confinement in ridge waveguides fabricated on very-small-aperture laser," Fang Chen, A. Itagi, J. A. Bain, D. D. Stancil, T. E. Schlesinger, L. Stebounova, G. C. Walker and B. B. Akhremitchev, Appl. Phys. Lett. 83, 3245 (2003)
- "Novel on chip rotation detection based on the acousto-optic effect in surface acoustic wave gyroscopes," Mohamed Mahmoud, Ashraf Mahmoud, Lutong Cai, Msi Khan, Tamal Mukherjee, James Bain, and Gianluca Piazza, Optics Express 26, 25060 (2018).
- "Nanoscale Scanning Probe Thermometry of TaOe-based selector devices." Li, Dasheng, Georg Ramer, Phoebe Yeoh, Brian Hoskins, Yuanzhi Ma, James A. Bain, Andrea Centrone, and Marek Skowronski. In 2018 76th Device Research Conference (DRC), pp. 1-2. IEEE, 2018.
- "Formation of the Conducting Filament in TaOx Resistive Switching Devices by Thermal-Gradient-Induced Cation Accumulation," Yuanzhi Ma, Dasheng Li, Andrew A. Herzing, David A. Cullen, Brian T Sneed, Karren L More, Noel T. Nuhfer, James A. Bain, and Marek Skowronski, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces (2018).
- "Deterministic seeding of switching filament in oxide-based memristive devices." Abdelmoula, Mohamed Abdeltawab, Marek Skowronski, Abhishek A. Sharma, and James A. Bain. U.S. Patent 9,997,700, issued June 12, 2018.
- "A Split-Pole-Gapped NFT Write Head Design for Transition Curvature Reduction in Heat-Assisted Magnetic Recording," Cheng-Ming Chow and James A. Bain,IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MAGNETICS (2018)
- "Experimental Demonstration of AlN Heat Spreaders for the Monolithic Integration of Inline Phase-Change Switches," Nabil El-Hinnaw, Pavel Borodulin, Matthew R. King, Colin Furrow, Carlos R. Padilla, Andris Ezis, Doyle T. Nichols, Jeyanandh Paramesh, James A. Bain, Robert M. Young, IEEE Electron Device Letters 99 (2018)
- "Switching dynamics of TaOx-based threshold switching devices," Jonathan M. Goodwill, Darshil K. Gala, James A. Bain, and Marek Skowronski, J. Appl. Phys. 123, 115105 (2018)
- "Nanoscale thermal transport aspects of heat-assisted magnetic recording devices and materials", James A. Bain, Jonathan A. Malen, Minyoung Jeong, and Turga Ganapathy, Materials for Heat-assisted Magnetic Recording, 43, 112 (2018)