Surface Reactions (oxidation, catalysis) and Electron Microscopy (in situ)
Dealing with oxidation is a major societal priority, yet oxidation also presents a fascinating challenge in thin film growth. Classical theories of oxidation were based mostly on thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) that only measures weight change, not structural changes. Hence, classical theories assume a uniform film growth, yet it is well known that oxides do not develop as uniform films. Recent developments of in situ experimental tools permit visualization of the dynamic processes at the nanoscale. Yang’s research group uses in situ ultra-high vacuum transmission electron microscopy (UHV-TEM) to improve the fundamental understanding of oxidation; figure 1 are bright field images of Cu and Cu-5%Ni thin films during oxidation at P(O2) 10-4 Torr in situ, where oxide islands are seen to nucleate and grow and their shapes depend sensitively on temperature. Heteroepitaxial concepts, based on surface diffusion, strain and structural evolution, describe surprisingly well these initial oxidation stages.
- "The ATLAS experiment at the CERN large hadron collider." Georges Aad, JM Butterworth, J Thion, U Bratzler, PN Ratoff, RB Nickerson, JM Seixas, I Grabowska-Bold, F Meisel, S Lokwitz, A Neganov, D Hindson, B Anderson, P Jovanovic, P Homola, AF Saavedra, LG Kudin, M Perantoni, P Hansson, MD Gibson, K Bos, A Melamed-Katz, B Green, Jen-La Plante, F Marzano, RS Orr, G Dedes, W Verkerke, S Fichet, R Seuster, H Secker, J Terron, K Jakobs, R Walker, RW Gardner, M Chalifour, JL Steffens, KM Black, S Tarem, K Kleinknecht, M Gosselink, Y Kataoka, H Lim, AA Abdelalim, Y Pylypchenko, M Olcese, A Ouraou, V Kukhtin, JN Jackson, M Corradi, D Rebuzzi, EB Klinkby, S Nemecek, N Wermes, SP Konovalov, H Nilsen, M Maassen, S Tapprogge, U Werthenbach, P Delebecque, S Bethke, C McCormick, S Basiladze, EG Tskhadadze, R Wall, L Feld, M Kataoka, C Bohm, F Ragusa, JG Drohan, B Di Girolamo, A Di Girolamo, JJ Rabbers, T Lenz, C Boaretto, P Zarzhitsky, M Ackers, D Asner, JA Valls Ferrer, GS Huang, KM Danielsen, R Strohmer, S Dean, Y Zhou, DS Smith, VJO Perera, H Ahmed, P Fassnacht, P Nechaeva, R Middleton, P Grafstrom, J Santander, J Cranshaw, O Salto Bauza, E Richter-Was, M Imhauser, SS Junnarkar, O Blanch, S Prasad, E Bergeaas, M Dris, B Szeless, P Imbert, S Zhou, A Gorisek, AA Komar, P Speckmayer, SB Vorozhtsov, M Iodice, J Rey, RJ Staley, GW Brandenburg, S Asai, KJ Grahn, G Schlager, A Paoloni, JL Schlereth, J Bohm, C Collins-Tooth, A Misiejuk, M Bosman, A Gongadze, P Cavalleri, B Asman, A Cerri, AJ Fowler, S Moed, AK Ciftci, B Zilka, O Abdinov, A Gibson, NR Nation, JE Pilcher, M Nowak, R Mackeprang, F Tegenfeldt, T Buanes, S Saboumazrag, J Ferland, J Martins, Z Sun, A Gordeev, G De Zorzi, B Zhou, M Lehto, P Stavina, B Esposito, P Coe, T Takeshita, M Morii. Jinst.
- "Cancer regression in patients after transfer of genetically engineered lymphocytes." Richard A Morgan, Mark E Dudley, John R Wunderlich, Marybeth S Hughes, James C Yang, Richard M Sherry, Richard E Royal, Suzanne L Topalian, Udai S Kammula, Nicholas P Restifo, Zhili Zheng, Azam Nahvi, Christiaan R De Vries, Linda J Rogers-Freezer, Sharon A Mavroukakis, Steven A Rosenberg. Science.
- "Use of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes and interleukin-2 in the immunotherapy of patients with metastatic melanoma." Steven A Rosenberg, Beverly S Packard, Paul M Aebersold, Diane Solomon, Suzanne L Topalian, Stephen T Toy, Paul Simon, Michael T Lotze, James C Yang, Claudia A Seipp, Colleen Simpson, Charles Carter, Steven Bock, Douglas Schwartzentruber, John P Wei, Donald E White. New England Journal of Medicine.
- "Experience with the use of high-dose interleukin-2 in the treatment of 652 cancer patients.." Steven A Rosenberg, MICHAEL T Lotze, JAMES C Yang, PAUL M Aebersold, W MARSTON Linehan, CLAUDIA A Seipp, DONALD E White. Annals of surgery.
- "Tomotherapy: a new concept for the delivery of dynamic conformal radiotherapy." T Rock Mackie, Timothy Holmes, Stuart Swerdloff, Paul Reckwerdt, Joseph O Deasy, James Yang, Bhudatt Paliwal, Timothy Kinsella. Medical physics.
- "Beam-loss driven injection optimization for HIAF-BRing in the presence of space charge." LP Yao, WP Chai, JC Yang, JW Xia, GD Shen, J Li, J Liu, H Ren, S Ruan, G Wang, ZQ Dong, FC Cai. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment.
- "Genetic regulation of methylation in human endometrium and blood and gene targets for reproductive diseases." Sally Mortlock, Restuadi Restuadi, Rupert Levien, Jane E Girling, Sarah J Holdsworth-Carson, Martin Healey, Zhihong Zhu, Ting Qi, Yang Wu, Samuel W Lukowski, Peter AW Rogers, Jian Yang, Allan F McRae, Jenny N Fung, Grant W Montgomery. Clinical epigenetics.
- "Improving the anticancer effect of afatinib and microRNA by using lipid polymeric nanoparticles conjugated with dual pH-responsive and targeting peptides." Shu-Ting Hong, Huaching Lin, Chen-Shen Wang, Chih-Hsien Chang, Anya Maan-Yuh Lin, James Chih-Hsin Yang, Yu-Li Lo. Journal of nanobiotechnology.
- "Asian Thoracic Oncology Research Group expert consensus statement on optimal management of stage III non-small cell lung cancer." Wan Ling Tan, Kevin LM Chua, Chia-Chi Lin, Victor HF Lee, Lye Mun Tho, Anthony W Chan, Gwo Fuang Ho, Thanyanan Reungwetwattana, James C Yang, Dong-Wan Kim, Ross A Soo, Yong Chan Ahn, Hiroshi Onishi, Myung-Ju Ahn, Tony SK Mok, Daniel SW Tan, Fan Yang. Journal of Thoracic Oncology.
- "Hydrogen Evolution Electrocatalysis with Core-Shell Ni-Mo@ Oxides." Rituja Patil, Stephen House, Aayush Mantri, Judith C Yang, James R McKone. 2019 AIChE Annual Meeting.