Our research interest is focused on developing analytical and computational multiscale techniques, and applying these techniques to engineering and biomedicine. Some current application topics include (i) response of charged defects to electric fields in solid oxides and ferroelectrics for energy applications; (ii) mechanics of drug transport across biological membranes; (iii) electron transport in deformed biomolecules under stress; (iv) response of nanostructured materials under dynamic loading for impact and blast protection; (v) composite functional materials for high-temperature sensors and actuators for hypersonic aircraft; (vi) quantum mechanical calculation of electromechanical properties of nanomaterials (graphene, nanotubes, chalcogenides)
- "Challenges and Opportunities for Multi-functional Oxide Thin films for Voltage Tunable RF / Microwave Components," Guru Subramanyam, Melanie W. Cole, Nian X. Sun, Thottam S. Kalkur, Nick M. Sbrockey, Gary S. Tompa, Xiaomei Guo, Chonglin Chen, S. Pamir Alpay, George A. Rossetti Jr., Kaushik Dayal, Long-Qing Chen, Darrell Schlom, Journal of Applied Physics 114, 191301 (2013)
- "Kinetics of phase transformations in the peridynamic formulation of continuum mechanics," Kaushik Dayal, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 54,1811 (2006)
- "A real-space non-local phase-field model of ferroelectric domain patterns in complex geometries," Kaushik Dayal, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Acta materialia, 55, 1907 (2007)
- "Graded ferroelectric capacitors with robust temperature characteristics," Mohamed Y El-Naggar, Kaushik Dayal, David G Goodwin, Kaushik Bhattacharya, Journal of applied physics 100, 114115 (2006)
- "Nonequilibrium molecular dynamics for bulk materials and nanostructures," Kaushik Dayal, Richard D James, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 58, 145 (2010)
- "Disclinations without gradients: A nonlocal model for topological defects in liquid crystals." de Macedo, R.B., Pourmatin, H., Breitzman, T., Dayal, K. Extreme Mechanics Letters 23, pp. 29-40. (2018).
- "Bond-level deformation gradients and energy averaging in peridynamics," Timothy Breitzmana, Kaushik Dayal, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 110,192, (2018).
- "Steering with light: indexable photomotility in liquid crystalline polymers, Mahnoush Babaei, J. Arul Clement, Kaushik Dayal and M. Ravi Shankar, RSC Adv., 7, 52510 (2017)
- "Dependence of equilibrium Griffith surface energy on crack speed in phase-field models for fracture coupled to elastodynamics," Vaibhav Agrawal, Kaushik Dayal, Int J Fract, 207, 243 (2017)
- "Leading-order nonlocal kinetic energy in peridynamics for consistent energetics and wave dispersion," Kaushik Dayal, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 105, 235 (2017)