Dr. Chen's group performs interdisciplinary photonics research in laser photonics, 3D lightwave circuits, advanced manufacturing, fiber optics, and nuclear micro-engineering. The group's expertise includes fiber optics, UV and ultrafast laser processing, microfabrication, finite element analysis, nuclear micro-engineering especially in tritium, and miniaturized photonic system integration. Our group is well-equipped, resourceful, friendly, and open for collaboration.
Laser Manufacturing. Researchers and students in our group explore laser manufacturing research from nanoscales to macroscales.
- Design, fabrication, and applications of 3D transformation optical structures using tunable holographic lithography schemes and metal oxide nanomaterials.
- Ultrafast laser matter interaction and 3D photonics structures fabrications. This research program has yielded a number of exciting outcomes including flexible lightwave circuits in glass substrates, nonlinear optical topologic insulators, all-glass all-optic MEMS structures, and 3D micro-fluidic devices.
- Adaptive laser beam forming for laser shock peening for additive manufacturing and MEMS devices.
- Deep UV laser fabrication of fiber optics components.
Laser Photonics. Dr. Chen's group possesses complete expertise in developing field-rugged, compact, and turn-key solid state laser systems from optics design, to mechanic implementation, to electronic hardware and software development.
Fiber Optics. Another major research thrust in Dr. Chen's group is fiber laser and fiber optics. We invent new specialty optical fibers, study new distributed fiber sensing schemes, and explore new fiber sensor applications for fossil energy, nuclear energy, and structural health monitoring. Students in our research group build new ultrafast fiber laser at 1.0, 1.5, and 1.9-m.
- "CarTel: A distributed mobile sensor computing system," Hull, B., Bychkovsky, V., Zhang, Y., Chen, K., Goraczko, M., Miu, A, Shih, E, Balakrishnan, H.Email Madden, S, Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, 125 (2006),
- "Laser micromachining of `transparent' fused silica with 1-ps pulses and pulse trains,"Herman, Peter R.,Oettl, Anton,Chen, Kevin P.,Marjoribanks, Robin S, Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 3616, 148 (1999)
- "Laser shaping of photonic materials: Deep-ultraviolet and ultrafast lasers," Herman, P.R. Marjoribanks, R.S., Oettl, A., Chen, K., Konovalov, I., Ness, S. Applied Surface Science, 154, 577 (2000)
- "Ultra high repetition rate (133 MHz) laser ablation of aluminum with 1.2-ps pulses," Lapczyna, M., Chen, K.P, Herman, P.R, Tan, H.W., Marjoribanks, R.S. Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, 69, S883 (1999)
- "Enhanced spontaneous raman scattering and gas composition analysis using a photonic crystal fiber," Buric, M.P. Chen, K.P., Falk, J., Woodruff, S.D., Applied Optics, 47, 4255 (2008)
- "Experimental observation of optical Weyl points and Fermi arc-like surface states," Jiho Noh, Sheng Huang, Daniel Leykam, Y. D. Chong, Kevin P. Chen & Mikael C. Rechtsman, Nature Physics 13, 611 (2017)
- "Fabrication of Fiber Bragg Grating Coating with TiO2 Nanostructured Metal Oxide for Refractive Index Sensor," Shaymaa Riyadh Tahhan, Rong Zhang Chen, Sheng Huang, Khalil I.Hajim, and Kevin P. Chen, Journal of Nanotechnology, 2791282 (2017)
- "Adaptive laser shock micro-forming for MEMS device applications," Zou, R., Wang, M., Wang, S.L., Li, S., Zhang, C., Deng, L., Lu, Y.F., Chen, K.P., Optics Express 25, 3875 (2017)
- "A compact field-portable double-pulse laser system to enhance laser induced breakdown spectroscopy,"Li, S., Liu, L., Yan, A., Huang, S., Huang, X., Chen, R., Lu, Y., Chen, K., Review of Scientific Instruments, 88, 023109 (2017)
- "Implementation of distributed feedback fiber laser sensor for acoustic measurements in hydraulic fracturing," Chen, R., Yan, A., Zaghloul, M.A.S., Lu, G., Bunger, A.P., Miller, G.A., Cranch, G.A., Chen, K.P., Optical Engineering, 55, 090506 (2016)