Dr. Chen's group performs interdisciplinary photonics research in laser photonics, 3D lightwave circuits, advanced manufacturing, fiber optics, and nuclear micro-engineering. The group's expertise includes fiber optics, UV and ultrafast laser processing, microfabrication, finite element analysis, nuclear micro-engineering especially in tritium, and miniaturized photonic system integration. Our group is well-equipped, resourceful, friendly, and open for collaboration.
Laser Manufacturing. Researchers and students in our group explore laser manufacturing research from nanoscales to macroscales.
- Design, fabrication, and applications of 3D transformation optical structures using tunable holographic lithography schemes and metal oxide nanomaterials.
- Ultrafast laser matter interaction and 3D photonics structures fabrications. This research program has yielded a number of exciting outcomes including flexible lightwave circuits in glass substrates, nonlinear optical topologic insulators, all-glass all-optic MEMS structures, and 3D micro-fluidic devices.
- Adaptive laser beam forming for laser shock peening for additive manufacturing and MEMS devices.
- Deep UV laser fabrication of fiber optics components.
Laser Photonics. Dr. Chen's group possesses complete expertise in developing field-rugged, compact, and turn-key solid state laser systems from optics design, to mechanic implementation, to electronic hardware and software development.
Fiber Optics. Another major research thrust in Dr. Chen's group is fiber laser and fiber optics. We invent new specialty optical fibers, study new distributed fiber sensing schemes, and explore new fiber sensor applications for fossil energy, nuclear energy, and structural health monitoring. Students in our research group build new ultrafast fiber laser at 1.0, 1.5, and 1.9-m.
- "CarTel: A distributed mobile sensor computing system," Hull, B., Bychkovsky, V., Zhang, Y., Chen, K., Goraczko, M., Miu, A., Shih, E., Balakrishnan, H., Madden, S. SenSys'06: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, pp. 125-138 (2006
- "Laser shaping of photonic materials: Deep-ultraviolet and ultrafast lasers," Herman, P.R., Marjoribanks, R.S., Oettl, A., Chen, K., Konovalov, I., Ness, S. Applied Surface Science, 154, pp. 577-586 (2000)
- "Ultra high repetition rate (133 MHz) laser ablation of aluminum with 1.2-ps pulses," Lapczyna, M., Chen, K.P., Herman, P.R., Tan, H.W., Marjoribanks, R.S. Applied Physics A: Materials Science and Processing, 69 (7), pp. S883-S886 (1999)
- "Experimental observation of optical Weyl points and Fermi arc-like surface states," Noh, J., Huang, S., Leykam, D., Chong, Y.D., Chen, K.P., Rechtsman, M.C. Nature Physics, 13 (6), pp. 611-617 (2017)
- "All-fiber passively mode-locked thulium-doped fiber ring laser using optically deposited graphene saturable absorbers," Wang, Q., Chen, T., Zhang, B., Li, M., Lu, Y., Chen, K.P. Applied Physics Letters, 102 (13), art. no. 131117 (2013)
- "Experimental realization of a Weyl exceptional ring," A Cerjan, S Huang, M Wang, and K Chen. Nature Photonics (2019)
- "Intrinsic Fabry-Perot Interferometer Fiber Sensor by Femtosecond Laser Induced Rayleigh Backscattering Enhancement," Peng, Z., Wang, M., Huang, S., Zou, R., Wu, J., Wang, Q., Chen, K.P. 2019 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO 2019 - Proceedings, art. no. 8749345 (2019)
- "Detection of Rare-Earth Elements Enhanced by Bio-Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs) Using UV LED," Lan, H., Crawford, S., Splain, Z., Boyer, T., Ohodnicki, P., Baltrus, J., Zou, R., Wang, M., Chen, K.P. 2019 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO 2019 - Proceedings, art. no. 8749351 (2019)
- "Methane detection of chirped laser dispersion spectroscopy using DSB-SC modulation," Peng, Z., Chen, K.P. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 10917, art. no. 1091721 (2019)
- "Fiber-optical distributed acoustic sensing signal enhancements using ultrafast laser and artificial intelligence for human movement detection and pipeline monitoring," Peng, Z., Jian, J., Wen, H., Wang, M., Liu, H., Jiang, D., Mao, Z., Chen, K.P. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 10937, art. no. 109370J (2019)