Michael van Stipdonk
Undergraduate and graduate students in the van Stipdonk research group use ion trap mass spectrometry, spectroscopy and theory to study a variety of chemical processes in the gas-phase. As summarized below, our current research projects can be grouped into three general areas: (a) fundamental studies of peptide ion dissociation to support application of tandem mass spectrometry (tandem MS) to peptide and protein identification in proteomics; (b) studies of the intrinsic stability and reactivity of metal ion complexes important to biology, energy production and the environment, and (c) vibrational spectroscopy of gas-phase ions using wavelength-selective infrared multiple-photon photodissociation. Besides extensive use of mass spectrometry and tandem MS, work in our laboratory involves the synthesis of model molecules and peptides, including those with isotope labels, and use of density functional theory (DFT) to predict ion structures, energies and vibrational spectra. Our work on tandem MS and peptide dissociation has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Studies of intrinsic metal ion chemistry have been supported by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Idaho National Laboratory. Work on ion spectroscopy is supported in part by the NSF, the Institue for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen; and the Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek.
- "Formation of [UVOF4]− by collision-induced dissociation of a [UVIO2(O2)(O2C-CF3)2]− precursor," Michael Van Stipdonk, Amanda Bubas, Irena Tatosian, Evan Perez, Nevo Polonsky, Luke Metzler, Arpad Somogyi, International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 424, 58 (2018)
- "Equatorial coordination of uranyl: Correlating ligand charge donation with the Oyl-U-Oyl asymmetric stretch frequency," John K Gibson, Wibe A de Jong, Michael J van Stipdonk, Jonathan Martens, Giel Berden, Jos Oomens, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry (2017)
- "Cleaving Off Uranyl Oxygens through Chelation: A Mechanistic Study in the Gas Phase," Rebecca J Abergel, Wibe A de Jong, Gauthier J-P Deblonde, Phuong D Dau, Ilya Captain, Teresa M Eaton, Jiwen Jian, Michael J van Stipdonk, Jonathan Martens, Giel Berden, Jos Oomens, John K Gibson, Inorg. Chem., 56, 12930 (2017)
- "Thermodynamics and Reaction Mechanisms of Decomposition of the Simplest Protonated Tripeptide, Triglycine: A Guided Ion Beam and Computational Study," Abhigya Mookherjee, Michael J. Van Stipdonk, P. B. Armentrout, J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 28, 739 (2017)
- "Revealing Disparate Chemistries of Protactinium and Uranium. Synthesis of the Molecular Uranium Tetroxide Anion, UO4–," Wibe A. de Jong, Phuong D. Dau, Richard E. Wilson, Joaquim Marcalo, Michael J. Van Stipdonk, Theodore A. Corcovilos, Giel Berden, Jonathan Martens, Jos Oomens,and John K. Gibson, Inorg. Chem., 56, 3686 (2017)
- "Calcium Phosphate Phase Identification using XPS and Time-of-Flight Cluster SIMS." Charles C Chusuei, D Wayne Goodmadn, Michael J van Stipdonk, Dina R Justes, and Emile A Schweikert. Analytical Chemistry 71.1 (1999)
- "Sequence-Scrambling Fragmentation Pathways of Protonated Peptides," C Bleiholder, S Osburn, T D Williams, S Suhai, M Van Stipdonk, A G Harrison and B. Paizs, Journal of the American Chemical Society 130, 17774 (2008)
- "A Comparison of Desorption Yields from C+60 to Atomic and Polyatomic Projectiles at keV Energies." EA Schweikery, Michael J van Stipdonk, and Ronny D Harris. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 10.15 (1996)
- "Vibrational characterization of simple peptides using cryogenic infrared photodissociation of H2-tagged, mass-selected ions," Michael Z. Kamrath, Etienne Garand, Peter A. Jordan, Christopher M. Leavitt, Arron B. Wolk, Michael J. Van Stipdonk, Scott J. Miller, Mark A. Johnson, Journal of the American Chemical Society 133, no. 16 (2011): 6440-6448.
- "Infrared Spectroscopy of Fragments of Protonated Peptides: Direct Evidence for Macrocyclic Structures of b5 Ions," U Erlekam, B J Bythell, D Scuderi, M Van Stipdonk, B Paizs, P Maître, Journal of the American Chemical Society 131, 11503 (2009)
- "Computational Investigation of the Dissociation Pathways of Peptides." Mary C. Sherman, Luke Metzler, and Michael J van Stipdonk. Biophysical Journal 116.3 (2019)
- "Formation of [Cu (CO2)(CH3OH)]+ and [Cu (N2)(CH3OH)]+ by Gas-phase Dissociation and Exchange Reactions." Metzler, Luke J., Stephen Koehler, Árpád Somogyi, and Michael J. Van Stipdonk. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry (2018).
- "Editorial and Review: 30th ASMS Sanibel Conference on Mass Spectrometry—Computational Modelling in Mass Spectrometry and Ion Mobility: Methods for Ion Structure and Reactivity Determination." Campuzano, Iain DG, Frank Sobott, and Michael J. van Stipdonk. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry (2018): 1-4.
- "Collision-induced Dissaociation of [UVIO2(CIO4)]+ Revisited: Production of [UVIO2(CI)]+ and Subsequent Hydrolysis to Create [UVIO2(OH)]+." Irena J Tatosian, Anna C Iacovino, and Michael J Van Stipdonk. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 32.13 (2018)
- "Influence of Background H2O on the Collision-Induced Dissociation Products Generated from [UO2NO3]+." Michael J Van Stipdonk, Anna Iacovino, and Irena Tatosian. Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry 29.7 (2018)