Michael van Stipdonk
Undergraduate and graduate students in the van Stipdonk research group use ion trap mass spectrometry, spectroscopy and theory to study a variety of chemical processes in the gas-phase. As summarized below, our current research projects can be grouped into three general areas: (a) fundamental studies of peptide ion dissociation to support application of tandem mass spectrometry (tandem MS) to peptide and protein identification in proteomics; (b) studies of the intrinsic stability and reactivity of metal ion complexes important to biology, energy production and the environment, and (c) vibrational spectroscopy of gas-phase ions using wavelength-selective infrared multiple-photon photodissociation. Besides extensive use of mass spectrometry and tandem MS, work in our laboratory involves the synthesis of model molecules and peptides, including those with isotope labels, and use of density functional theory (DFT) to predict ion structures, energies and vibrational spectra. Our work on tandem MS and peptide dissociation has been funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Studies of intrinsic metal ion chemistry have been supported by the U.S. Department of Energy and the Idaho National Laboratory. Work on ion spectroscopy is supported in part by the NSF, the Institue for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen; and the Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek.
- "Formation of [UVOF4]− by collision-induced dissociation of a [UVIO2(O2)(O2C-CF3)2]− precursor," Michael Van Stipdonk, Amanda Bubas, Irena Tatosian, Evan Perez, Nevo Polonsky, Luke Metzler, Arpad Somogyi, International Journal of Mass Spectrometry 424, 58 (2018)
- "Equatorial coordination of uranyl: Correlating ligand charge donation with the Oyl-U-Oyl asymmetric stretch frequency," John K Gibson, Wibe A de Jong, Michael J van Stipdonk, Jonathan Martens, Giel Berden, Jos Oomens, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry (2017)
- "Cleaving Off Uranyl Oxygens through Chelation: A Mechanistic Study in the Gas Phase," Rebecca J Abergel, Wibe A de Jong, Gauthier J-P Deblonde, Phuong D Dau, Ilya Captain, Teresa M Eaton, Jiwen Jian, Michael J van Stipdonk, Jonathan Martens, Giel Berden, Jos Oomens, John K Gibson, Inorg. Chem., 56, 12930 (2017)
- "Thermodynamics and Reaction Mechanisms of Decomposition of the Simplest Protonated Tripeptide, Triglycine: A Guided Ion Beam and Computational Study," Abhigya Mookherjee, Michael J. Van Stipdonk, P. B. Armentrout, J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 28, 739 (2017)
- "Revealing Disparate Chemistries of Protactinium and Uranium. Synthesis of the Molecular Uranium Tetroxide Anion, UO4–," Wibe A. de Jong, Phuong D. Dau, Richard E. Wilson, Joaquim Marcalo, Michael J. Van Stipdonk, Theodore A. Corcovilos, Giel Berden, Jonathan Martens, Jos Oomens,and John K. Gibson, Inorg. Chem., 56, 3686 (2017)
- "Calcium phosphate phase identification using XPS and time-of-flight cluster SIMS." Charles C Chusuei, D Wayne Goodman, Michael J Van Stipdonk, Dina R Justes, Emile A Schweikert. Analytical chemistry.
- "Sequence-scrambling fragmentation pathways of protonated peptides." Christian Bleiholder, Sandra Osburn, Todd D Williams, Sándor Suhai, Michael Van Stipdonk, Alex G Harrison, Béla Paizs. Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- "Vibrational Characterization of Simple Peptides Using Cryogenic Infrared Photodissociation of H2-Tagged, Mass-Selected Ions." Michael Z Kamrath, Etienne Garand, Peter A Jordan, Christopher M Leavitt, Arron B Wolk, Michael J Van Stipdonk, Scott J Miller, Mark A Johnson. Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- "A Comparison of Desorption Yields from C+60 to Atomic and Polyatomic Projectiles at keV Energies." EA Schweikert, Michael J van Stipdonk, Ronny D Harris. Rapid communications in mass spectrometry.
- "Infrared spectroscopy of fragments of protonated peptides: direct evidence for macrocyclic structures of b 5 ions." Undine Erlekam, Benjamin J Bythell, Debora Scuderi, Michael Van Stipdonk, Béla Paizs, Philippe Maître. Journal of the American Chemical Society.
- "Measurement of the asymmetric UO22+ stretching frequency for [UVIO2 (F) 3]-using IRMPD spectroscopy." Irena Tatosian, Luke Metzler, Connor Graca, Amanda Bubas, Theodore Corcovilos, Jonathan Martens, Giel Berden, Jos Oomens, Michael J Van Stipdonk. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry.
- "Formation and Hydrolysis of Gas‐phase [UO2(R)]+: R=CH3, CH2CH3, CH=CH2 and C6H5." Irena Tatosian, Amanda Bubas, Anna Iacovino, Susan Kline, Luke Metzler, Michael Van Stipdonk. Journal of Mass Spectrometry.
- "Gas-Phase Deconstruction of UO22+: Mass Spectrometry Evidence for Generation of [OUVICH]+ by Collision-Induced Dissociation of [UVIO2(C≡CH)]+." Michael J van Stipdonk, Irena J Tatosian, Anna C Iacovino, Amanda R Bubas, Luke J Metzler, Mary C Sherman, Arpad Somogyi. Journal of The American Society for Mass Spectrometry.
- "Computational Investigation of the Dissociation Pathways of Peptides." Mary C Sherman, Luke Metzler, Michael J Van Stipdonk. Biophysical Journal.
- "Isotope labeling and infrared multiple-photon photodissociation investigation of product ions generated by dissociation of [ZnNO3(CH3OH)2]+: Conversion of …." Evan Perez, Theodore A Corcovilos, John K Gibson, Jonathan Martens, Giel Berden, Jos Oomens, Michael J Van Stipdonk. European Journal of Mass Spectrometry.