The NanoProduct Lab, also known as the Bedewy Research Group, at the University of Pittsburgh was established by Dr. Mostafa Bedewy in fall 2016.
Our group focuses on fundamental experimental research at the interface between nanoscience, biotechnology, and manufacturing engineering. We make basic scientific discoveries and applied technological developments in the broad area of advanced manufacturing at multiple length scales, aiming at creating novel solutions that impact major societal challenges in areas related to energy , healthcare, and the environment.
We are located in Benedum Hall in the Swanson School of Engineering (SSoE). We are part of the manufacturing group in the Department of Industrial Engineering (IE), and we are also affiliated with the Center for Energy, and the Petersen Institute of NanoScience and Engineering (PINSE).
- Science and technology of nanomanufacturing process development
- Nondestructive materials characterization and metrology
- Precision design and fabrication of scientific instruments, manufacturing machines, and medical devices
- Synthesis and self-organization of nanofilaments, such as carbon nanotubes, and their composites
- Bottom-up self-assembly of 2D/3D nanoparticle structures and block copolymers
- Patterning of biomolecular systems and biointerfaces
- "Collective mechanism for the evolution and self-termination of vertically aligned carbon nanotube growth," Mostafa Bedewy, Eric R Meshot, Haicheng Guo, Eric A Verploegen, Wei Lu, A John Hart. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 113, 20576-20582 (2009)
- "Population growth dynamics of carbon nanotubes," Mostafa Bedewy, Eric R Meshot, Michael J Reinker, A John Hart. ACS Nano, 5, 8974-8989 (2011)
- "Mechanical coupling limits the density and quality of self-organized carbon nanotube growth," Mostafa Bedewy, A John Hart. Nanoscale, 5, 2928-2937 (2013)
- "Statistical analysis of variation in laboratory growth of carbon nanotube forests and recommendations for improved consistency," C Ryan Oliver, Erik S Polsen, Eric R Meshot, Sameh Tawfick, Sei Jin Park, Mostafa Bedewy, A John Hart. ACS Nano, 7, 3565-3580 (2013)
- "Diameter-dependent kinetics of activation and deactivation in carbon nanotube population growth," Mostafa Bedewy, Eric R Meshot, A John Hart. Carbon, 50, 5106-5116 (2012)
- "Decoupling Catalyst Dewetting, Gas Decomposition, and Surface Reactions in Carbon Nanotube Forest Growth Reveals Dependence of Density on Nucleation Temperature," Jaegeun Lee, Moataz Abdulhafez, Mostafa Bedewy. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 123, 28726-28738 (2019)
- "Carbon-assisted catalyst pretreatment enables straightforward synthesis of high-density carbon nanotube forests," Nicholas T Dee, Jinjing Li, Alvin Orbaek White, Christine Jacob, Wenbo Shi, Piran R Kidambi, Kehang Cui, Dmitri N Zakharov, Nina Z Janković, Mostafa Bedewy, Cécile AC Chazot, Jennifer Carpena-Núñez, Benji Maruyama, Eric A Stach, Desiree L Plata, A John Hart. Carbon, 153, Pergamon (2019)
- "Multizone Rapid Thermal Processing to Overcome Challenges in Carbon Nanotube Manufacturing by Chemical Vapor Deposition," Jaegeun Lee, Moataz Abdulhafez, Mostafa Bedewy. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 141, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection (2019)
- "Correction to Promoting Helix-Rich Structure in Silk Fibroin Films through Molecular Interactions with Carbon Nanotubes and Selective Heating for Transparent Biodegradable Devices," Se Youn Cho, Moataz Abdulhafez, Min Eui Lee, Hyoung-Joon Jin, Mostafa Bedewy. ACS Applied Nano Materials, 2, 5350-5350 (2019)
- "Data analytics enables significant improvement of robustness in chemical vapor deposition of carbon nanotubes based on vacuum baking," Jaegeun Lee, Moataz Abdulhafez, Mostafa Bedewy. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 58, 11999-12009 (2019)