The Laboratory for Advanced Materials at Pittsburgh (LAMP) under the direction of Professor Paul W. Leu, focuses on designing and understanding advanced materials by computational modeling and experimental research. Simulations and experiments are used in a synergistic manner to study the mechanical and electronic properties of nanomaterials and surfaces for various applications.
The goal of LAMP is to design better material systems through a combined modeling and experimental approach. Much in the same way that finite element modeling is now foundational in mechanical engineering design, multiscale and device modeling will become increasingly important in the prediction and understanding of nanomaterial and surface properties. In addition, these techniques can be used as a design tool for evaluating and optimizing various design metrics. Current areas of interest include
- Ab initio modeling of nanomaterials and surfaces
- Combining physical simulations with optimization methods
- Nanomaterial manufacturing and characterization
- Solar cells
|Gao, Tongchuan||Graduate Studentemail@example.com|
|Kashkoush, Mohamed||Graduate Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kayes, Imrul||Graduate Studentemail@example.com|
|McCarthy, Sean||Graduate Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Walton, Lincoln||Graduate Studentemail@example.com|
|Wang, Baomin||Graduate Studentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Werkmeister, Thomas||Graduate Studentemail@example.com|
- "Three-dimensional nanopillar-array photovoltaics on low-cost and flexible substrates," Zhiyong Fan, Haleh Razavi, Jae-won Do, Aimee Moriwaki, Onur Ergen, Yu-Lun Chueh, Paul W Leu, Johnny C Ho, Toshitake Takahashi, Lothar A Reichertz, Steven Neale, Kyoungsik Yu, Ming Wu, Joel W Ager, Ali Javey, Nature Materials 8, 648 (2009)
- "Nanowire active-matrix circuitry for low-voltage macroscale artificial skin," Kuniharu Takei, Toshitake Takahashi, Johnny C Ho, Hyunhyub Ko, Andrew G Gillies, Paul W Leu, Ronald S Fearing, Ali Javey, Nature materials 9, 821 (2010)
- "Ultrathin compound semiconductor on insulator layers for high-performance nanoscale transistors," Hyunhyub Ko, Kuniharu Takei, Rehan Kapadia, Steven Chuang, Hui Fang, Paul W Leu, Kartik Ganapathi, Elena Plis, Ha Sul Kim, Szu-Ying Chen, Morten Madsen, Alexandra C Ford, Yu-Lun Chueh, Sanjay Krishna, Sayeef Salahuddin, Ali Javey, Nature 468, 286 (2010)
- "Ordered arrays of dual-diameter nanopillars for maximized optical absorption," Zhiyong Fan, Rehan Kapadia, Paul W Leu, Xiaobo Zhang, Yu-Lun Chueh, Kuniharu Takei, Kyoungsik Yu, Arash Jamshidi, Asghar A Rathore, Daniel J Ruebusch, Ming Wu, Ali Javey, Nano letters 10, 3823 (2010)
- "Challenges and prospects of nanopillar-based solar cells," Zhiyong Fan, Daniel J Ruebusch, Asghar A Rathore, Rehan Kapadia, Onur Ergen, Paul W Leu, Ali Javey, Nano Research 2, 829 (2009)
"Frontside scattering structures for enhanced performance in flexible ultrathin crystalline silicon solar cells," Baomin Wang; Tongchuan Gao; Ziyu Zhou; Bradley Pafchek; Paul W. Leu, J. of Photonics for Energy, 8(3), 030501 (2018).
"Self-cleaning, high transmission, near unity haze OTS/silica nanostructured glass,"Sajad Haghanifar, Ping Lu, Md Imrul Kayes, Susheng Tan, Ki-Joong Kim, Tongchuan Gao, Paul Ohodnicki and Paul W. Leu, J. Mater. Chem. C (2018)
"Flexible nanograss with highest combination of transparency and haze for optoelectronic plastic substrates," Sajad Haghanifar, Rafael T. Rodriguez De Vecchis, Ki-Joong Kim, Jeffrey Wuenschell, Sooraj P Sharma, Ping Lu, Paul Ohodnicki, and Paul W Leu, NANO-118304.R1 (2018)
- "Stable lotus leaf-inspired hierarchical, fluorinated polypropylene surfaces for reduced bacterial adhesion", Md Imrul Kayes, Anthony Galante, Nicholas A. Stella, Sajad Haghanifar, Robert M.Q.Shanks, Paul W. Leu,Reactive and Functional Polymers (2018).
- "Critical heat fux enhancement in pool boiling through increased rewetting on nanopillar array surfaces," Thien-Binh Nguyen, Dongdong Liu, Md Imrul Kayes, Baomin Wang, Nabeel Rashin, Paul W. Leu & Tuan Tran, Scientific Reports, 8, 4815 (2018)
- "Fundamental Performance Limits and Haze Evaluation of Metal Nanomesh Transparent Conductors," Tongchuan Gao, Sajad Haghanifar, Maxwell G. Lindsay, Ping Lu, Md Imrul Kayes, Bradley D. Pafchek, Ziyu Zhou, Paul R. Ohodnicki and Paul W. Leu, Adv. Optical Mater. 1700829 (2018)