Raúl Hernández Sánchez
Raúl Hernández Sánchez's research group is interested in combining supramolecular, inorganic, and materials chemistry to synthesize functional systems that bridge the gap between nanoscale materials and molecular chemistry. Their research is focused on developing new synthetic methodologies to access well-defined nanometer-sized clusters where they can investigate surface structure-function relationships relevant in catalytic and magnetic materials. Other efforts in the Hernández Sánchez (HS) group are aimed at designing and synthesizing structural analogues of carbon nanotubes where exquisite control of the resulting framework allows for properties manipulation.
Students in the HS group will engage in synthetic chemistry and develop familiarity with a range of spectroscopic, electrochemical, crystallographic and magnetic techniques. While rooted in synthetic chemistry, research in the HS group will interface with materials, organic, theory, and physical chemistry.
- "High total proton conductivity in large-grained yttrium-doped barium zirconate," Y Yamazaki, R Hernandez-Sanchez, SM Haile, Chemistry of Materials 21, 2755 (2009
- "Cation non-stoichiometry in yttrium-doped barium zirconate: phase behavior, microstructure, and proton conductivity," Y Yamazaki, R Hernandez-Sanchez, SM Haile, Journal of Materials Chemistry 20, 8158 (2010)
- "Ligand Field Strength Mediates Electron Delocalization in Octahedral [(HL)2 Fe6 (L')m]n+ Clusters," Hernández Sánchez, R., Zheng, S.-L., Betley, T.A. Journal of the American Chemical Society 137(34), 11126-11143 (2015)
- "Synthesis of open-shell, bimetallic Mn/Fe trinuclear clusters," Powers, T.M., Gu, N.X., Fout, A.R., Hernández Sánchez, R., (...). Journal of the American Chemical Society 135(38), 14448-14458 (2013)
- "Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes: Mimics of Biological Ion Channels,"
Amiri, H., Shepard, K.L., Nuckolls, C., Hernández Sánchez, R. Nano Letters 17(2), 1204-1211 (2017)
- "Defying strain in the synthesis of an electroactive bilayer helicene." Milton, Margarita, Nathaniel J. Schuster, Daniel W. Paley, Raúl Hernández Sánchez, Fay Ng, Michael L. Steigerwald, and Colin Nuckolls. Chemical Science (2018).
- "Thermally persistent high spin ground states in octahedral iron clusters." Hernández Sánchez, Raúl, and Theodore A. Betley. Journal of the American Chemical Society (2018).
- "Molecular Materials for Nonaqueous Flow Batteries with a High Coulombic Efficiency and Stable Cycling," Margarita Milton, Qian Cheng, Yuan Yang, Colin Nuckolls, Raúl Hernández Sánchez, Thomas J Sisto, Nano Letters, 17, 7859 (2017)
- "Towards Catalytic Ammonia Oxidation to Dinitrogen: A Synthetic Cycle Using a Simple Manganese Complex,"Megan Keener, Madeline Peterson, Raúl Hernández Sánchez, Victoria F Oswald, Guang Wu, Gabriel Menard, Chemistry-A European Journal 23, 11479 (2017)
- "Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes: Mimics of Biological Ion Channels,"Hasti Amiri, Kenneth L Shepard, Colin Nuckolls, Raúl Hernández Sánchez, American Chemical Society, 17, 1204 (2017)