I work in condensed matter theory, specializing in topological phases, quantum information, and classical simulation of quantum systems.
In contrast to Landau’s symmetry classification of matter, where phases are described by symmetry-breaking order parameters, topological phases are distinguished by nonlocal topological invariants. These phases are fundamentally quantum mechanical with no classical analogue; they are characterized by exotic emergent excitations of the bulk, which are often accompanied by gapless edge degrees of freedoms. My research is focused on finding materials which support these phases of matter, understanding their properties, and exploring ways that these systems can be manipulated.
- "Antiferromagnetic topological insulators," Roger S. K. Mong, Andrew M. Essin, and Joel E. Moore, Phys. Rev. B 81, 245209 (2010)
- "Universal Topological Quantum Computation from a Superconductor-Abelian Quantum Hall Heterostructure," Roger S. K. Mong, David J. Clarke, Jason Alicea, Netanel H. Lindner, Paul Fendley, Chetan Nayak, Yuval Oreg, Ady Stern, Erez Berg, Kirill Shtengel, and Matthew P. A. Fisher, Phys. Rev. X 4, 011036 (2014)
- "In-Plane Transport and Enhanced Thermoelectric Performance in Thin Films of the Topological Insulators Bi2Te3 and Bi2Se3," Pouyan Ghaemi, Roger S. K. Mong, and J. E. Moore, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 166603 (2010)
- "Quantized response and topology of magnetic insulators with inversion symmetry," Ari M. Turner, Yi Zhang, Roger S. K. Mong, and Ashvin Vishwanath, Phys. Rev. B 85, 165120 (2012)
- "Topological Characterization of Fractional Quantum Hall Ground States from Microscopic Hamiltonians," Michael P. Zaletel, Roger S. K. Mong, and Frank Pollmann, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 236801 (2013)
- "Entanglement renormalization for chiral topological phases," Z Li and RSK Mong. Physical Review B 99.24 (2019)
- "1D Error Correcting Code for Majorana Qubits," J Stenger and RSK Mong. arXiv 1906.01658 (2019)
- "A local formula for the Z2 invariant of topological insulators," Z Li and RSK Mong. arXiv 1905.12649 (2019)
- "Electrical probes of the non-Abelian spin liquid phase in α-RuCl 3." Aasen, David, Roger Mong, Benjamin Hunt, David Mandrus, and Jason Alicea. Bulletin of the American Physical Society (2019).
- "Single-component fermion chain: emergent mode and liquids of bound states." He, Yuchi, Binbin Tian, David Pekker, and Roger Mong. Bulletin of the American Physical Society(2019).