I work in condensed matter theory, specializing in topological phases, quantum information, and classical simulation of quantum systems.
In contrast to Landau’s symmetry classification of matter, where phases are described by symmetry-breaking order parameters, topological phases are distinguished by nonlocal topological invariants. These phases are fundamentally quantum mechanical with no classical analogue; they are characterized by exotic emergent excitations of the bulk, which are often accompanied by gapless edge degrees of freedoms. My research is focused on finding materials which support these phases of matter, understanding their properties, and exploring ways that these systems can be manipulated.
- "In-Plane Transport and Enhanced Thermoelectric Performance in Thin Films of the Topological Insulators Bi2Te3 and Bi2Se3," Pouyan Ghaemi, Roger S. K. Mong, and J. E. Moore, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 166603 (2010)
- "Antiferromagnetic topological insulators," Roger S. K. Mong, Andrew M. Essin, and Joel E. Moore, Phys. Rev. B 81, 245209 (2010)
- "Universal Topological Quantum Computation from a Superconductor-Abelian Quantum Hall Heterostructure," Roger S. K. Mong, David J. Clarke, Jason Alicea, Netanel H. Lindner, Paul Fendley, Chetan Nayak, Yuval Oreg, Ady Stern, Erez Berg, Kirill Shtengel, and Matthew P. A. Fisher, Phys. Rev. X 4, 011036 (2014)
- "Topological Characterization of Fractional Quantum Hall Ground States from Microscopic Hamiltonians," Michael P. Zaletel, Roger S. K. Mong, and Frank Pollmann, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 236801 (2013)
- "Quantized response and topology of magnetic insulators with inversion symmetry," Ari M. Turner, Yi Zhang, Roger S. K. Mong, and Ashvin Vishwanath, Phys. Rev. B 85, 165120 (2012)
- "Imaging anyons with scanning tunneling microscopy," Zlatko Papi´c, Roger S. K. Mong, Ali Yazdani, and Michael P. Zaletel, Phys. Rev. X (2017)
- "Quantum dynamics of thermalizing systems," Christopher David White, Michael Zaletel, Roger S. K. Mong, and Gil Refael, arXiv:1707.01506v1
- "Emergent particle-hole symmetry in spinful bosonic quantum Hall systems," Scott D. Geraedts, Cecile Repellin, Chong Wang, Roger S. K. Mong, T. Senthil, Nicolas Regnault, arXiv:1704.01594
- "Fibonacci anyons and charge density order in the 12/5 and 13/5 quantum Hall plateaus," Roger S. K. Mong, Michael P. Zaletel, Frank Pollmann, and Zlatko Papić, Phys. Rev. B 95, 115136 (2017)
- "Entanglement renormalization for chiral topological phases," Zhi Li, Roger S. K. Mong, arXiv:1703.00464