I work in condensed matter theory, specializing in topological phases, quantum information, and classical simulation of quantum systems.
In contrast to Landau’s symmetry classification of matter, where phases are described by symmetry-breaking order parameters, topological phases are distinguished by nonlocal topological invariants. These phases are fundamentally quantum mechanical with no classical analogue; they are characterized by exotic emergent excitations of the bulk, which are often accompanied by gapless edge degrees of freedoms. My research is focused on finding materials which support these phases of matter, understanding their properties, and exploring ways that these systems can be manipulated.
- "Antiferromagnetic topological insulators," Roger S. K. Mong, Andrew M. Essin, and Joel E. Moore, Phys. Rev. B 81, 245209 (2010)
- "In-Plane Transport and Enhanced Thermoelectric Performance in Thin Films of the Topological Insulators Bi2Te3 and Bi2Se3," Pouyan Ghaemi, Roger S. K. Mong, and J. E. Moore, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 166603 (2010)
- "Universal Topological Quantum Computation from a Superconductor-Abelian Quantum Hall Heterostructure," Roger S. K. Mong, David J. Clarke, Jason Alicea, Netanel H. Lindner, Paul Fendley, Chetan Nayak, Yuval Oreg, Ady Stern, Erez Berg, Kirill Shtengel, and Matthew P. A. Fisher, Phys. Rev. X 4, 011036 (2014)
- "Quantized response and topology of magnetic insulators with inversion symmetry," Ari M. Turner, Yi Zhang, Roger S. K. Mong, and Ashvin Vishwanath, Phys. Rev. B 85, 165120 (2012)
- "Topological Characterization of Fractional Quantum Hall Ground States from Microscopic Hamiltonians," Michael P. Zaletel, Roger S. K. Mong, and Frank Pollmann, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 236801 (2013)
- "Emergent mode and bound states in single-component one-dimensional lattice fermionic systems." He, Yuchi, Binbin Tian, David Pekker, and Roger SK Mong. arXiv preprint arXiv:1811.06066 (2018).
- "Half-filled Landau levels: a continuum and sign-free regularization for 3D quantum critical points." Ippoliti, Matteo, Roger SK Mong, Fakher F. Assaad, and Michael P. Zaletel. arXiv preprint arXiv:1810.00009 (2018).
- "Luttinger Liquid Instabilities in n-component 1-D Lattice Fermionic Systems." He, Yuchi, Binbin Tian, Roger Mong, and David Pekker. Bulletin of the American Physical Society (2018).
- "Transport Signatures of Spin-Orbit Coupling in Adatom-Decorated Graphene." Tu, Min-Feng, Roger Mong, and Jason Alicea. Bulletin of the American Physical Society (2018).
- "Imaging anyons with scanning tunneling microscopy," Zlatko Papi´c, Roger S. K. Mong, Ali Yazdani, and Michael P. Zaletel, Phys. Rev. X (2017)