I work in condensed matter theory, specializing in topological phases, quantum information, and classical simulation of quantum systems.
In contrast to Landau’s symmetry classification of matter, where phases are described by symmetry-breaking order parameters, topological phases are distinguished by nonlocal topological invariants. These phases are fundamentally quantum mechanical with no classical analogue; they are characterized by exotic emergent excitations of the bulk, which are often accompanied by gapless edge degrees of freedoms. My research is focused on finding materials which support these phases of matter, understanding their properties, and exploring ways that these systems can be manipulated.
- "Antiferromagnetic topological insulators." Roger SK Mong, Andrew M Essin, Joel E Moore. Physical Review B.
- "Universal topological quantum computation from a superconductor-abelian quantum hall heterostructure." Roger SK Mong, David J Clarke, Jason Alicea, Netanel H Lindner, Paul Fendley, Chetan Nayak, Yuval Oreg, Ady Stern, Erez Berg, Kirill Shtengel, Matthew PA Fisher. Physical Review X.
- "In-plane transport and enhanced thermoelectric performance in thin films of the topological insulators Bi 2 Te 3 and Bi 2 Se 3." Pouyan Ghaemi, Roger SK Mong, Joel E Moore. Physical review letters.
- "Quantized response and topology of magnetic insulators with inversion symmetry." Ari M Turner, Yi Zhang, Roger SK Mong, Ashvin Vishwanath. Physical Review B.
- "Topological characterization of fractional quantum hall ground states from microscopic hamiltonians." Michael P Zaletel, Roger SK Mong, Frank Pollmann. Physical review letters.
- "Homotopical classification of non-Hermitian band structures." Zhi Li, Roger SK Mong. arXiv preprint arXiv:1911.02697.
- "Emergent mode and bound states in single-component one-dimensional lattice fermionic systems." Yuchi He, Binbin Tian, David Pekker, Roger SK Mong. Physical Review B.
- "Finite-temperature topological entanglement entropy for CSS codes." Zhi Li, Roger SK Mong. arXiv preprint arXiv:1910.07545.
- "Pascal conductance series in ballistic one-dimensional LaAlO/SrTiO channels." Megan Briggeman, Michelle Tomczyk, Binbin Tian, Hyungwoo Lee, Jung-Woo Lee, Yuchi He, Anthony Tylan-Tyler, Mengchen Huang, Chang-Beom Eom, David Pekker, Roger SK Mong, Patrick Irvin, Jeremy Levy. arXiv preprint arXiv:1909.05698.
- "Entanglement renormalization for chiral topological phases." Zhi Li, Roger SK Mong. Physical Review B.