Our research focuses on fundamental science and engineering questions motivated by the creation of materials on the nanometer scale (1 nm=10-9 m). Our research themes include the synthesis, characterization, and applications of nanoparticles (typically 1-100 nm in size). We are developing chemical methods for synthesizing well defined nanoparticles, including atomically precise nanoclusters, shape- and size-controlled nanocrystals, hybrid nano-architectures, and inorganic/polymer nanocomposites. In-depth characterizations of the physical and chemical properties of nanoparticles and self-assembled nanomaterials are carried out with microscopy and spectroscopy techniques, such as electron microscopy, atomic force microscopy, X-ray crystallography, steady-state and ultrafast spectroscopies, etc. We also develop applications of nanoparticles in areas of catalysis, optics, chemo- and bio-sensing, and photovoltaics, etc.
- “Correlating second harmonic optical responses of single Ag nanoparticles with morphology”, Jin, R.; Jureller, J.E.; Kim, H.Y.; Scherer, N.F. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 127, 12482 (2005).
- “Synthesis of open-ended, cylindrical Au-Ag alloy nanostructures on a Si/SiOx surface”, Zhang, H.; Jin, R.; Mirkin, C.A. Nano Lett., 4, 1493 (2004).
- “Thermally-induced formation of atomic Au clusters and conversion into nanocubes”, Jin, R.; Egusa, S.; Scherer, N.F. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 126, 9900 (2004).
- “Controlling anisotropic nanoparticle growth through plasmon excitation”, Jin, R.; Cao, Y.W.; Hao, E.; Metraux, G.S.; Schatz, G.C.; Mirkin, C.A.; Nature, 425, 487 (2003).
- “Raman dye-labeled nanoparticle probes for proteins”, Cao, Y.C.; Jin, R.; Nam, J.M.; Thaxton, C.S.; Mirkin, C.A. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 125, 14676 (2003).
- "Photoinduced conversion of silver nanospheres to nanoprisms", R Jin, YW Cao, CA Mirkin, KL Kelly, GC Schatz, JG Zheng, science, 294, 1901 (2001).
- "Nanoparticles with Raman spectroscopic fingerprints for DNA and RNA detection", YWC Cao, R Jin, CA Mirkin, Science 297, 1536 (2002).
- "Controlling anisotropic nanoparticle growth through plasmon excitation", R Jin, YC Cao, E Hao, GS Métraux, GC Schatz, CA Mirkin, Nature 425, 487 (2003).
- "Correlating the crystal structure of a thiol-protected Au25 cluster and optical properties", M Zhu, CM Aikens, FJ Hollander, GC Schatz, R Jin, Journal of the American Chemical Society 130 , 5883 (2008).
- "What controls the melting properties of DNA-linked gold nanoparticle assemblies?", R Jin, G Wu, Z Li, CA Mirkin, GC Schatz, Journal of the American Chemical Society 125, 1643 (2003).
- "Remarkable Effect of BaO on Photocatalytic H2 Evolution from Water Splitting via TiO2 (P25) Supported Palladium Nanoparticles." Ejaz Hussain, Imran Majeed, Muhammad Amtiaz Nadeem, Azhar Iqbal, Yuxiang Chen, Mohammad Choucair, Rongchao Jin, and Muhammad Arif Nadeem. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 7.1. (2019)
- "Atomically Tailored Gold Nanoclusters for Catalytic Application." Rongchao Jin, Tatsuya Higaki, Yingwei Li, Shuo Zhao, Qi Li, Site Li, et. al. Angewandte Chemie (2019)
- "Reversible Control of Chemoselectivity in Au38 (SR) 24 Nanocluster-Catalyzed Transfer Hydrogenation of Nitrobenzaldehyde Derivatives." Zhao, Jianbo, Qi Li, Shengli Zhuang, Yongbo Song, David J. Morris, Meng Zhou, Zhikun Wu, Peng Zhang, and Rongchao Jin. The journal of physical chemistry letters (2018).
- "Sensitive X-ray Absorption Near Edge Structure Analysis on the Bonding Properties of Au30 (SR) 18 Nanoclusters." Yang, Rui, David J. Morris, Tatsuya Higaki, Matthew J. Ward, Rongchao Jin, and Peng Zhang. ACS Omega 3, no. 11 (2018): 14981-14985.
- "Toward the Tailoring Chemistry of Metal Nanoclusters for Enhancing Functionalities." Higaki, Tatsuya, Qi Li, Meng Zhou, Shuo Zhao, Yingwei Li, Site Li, and Rongchao Jin. Accounts of chemical research (2018).