The mission of the Nanoionics and Electronics Laboratory, led by Susan Fullerton, is to establish a fundamental understanding of ion-electron transport at the molecular level, and use this knowledge to design next-generation electronic devices at the limit of scaling for memory, logic, and energy storage.
Her research focuses on the development of materials for low-power electronics and next-generation batteries. She is a co-PI in the Center for Low Energy Systems Technology ( LEAST ), one of six STARnet centers funded by the semiconductor research corporation (SRC) and DARPA. The goal of the center is to develop low-power transistors and memory using 2D materials that are only one atom or molecule thick. Fullerton uses polymer electrolytes to enable the exploration of new regimes of transport in the 2D materials, with the goal of developing a transistor with an operating voltage lower than traditional CMOS.
Fullerton also uses electrolytes for the development of a 2D flash memory that would shrink memory to the ultimate limit of scaling. Her work on this project is funded by the NSF through their GOALI program: Grant Opportunities of Academic Liaison with Industry. The industrial partner is Micron Technology, Inc. - a global leader in memory technology. Fullerton and her co-PI, Alan Seabaugh (U. of Notre Dame), combine their expertise in polymer physics and device physics, respectively, using ion transport to control electron transport in graphene - a single layer of carbon atoms.
- "Effect of LiClO4 on the Structure and Mobility of PEO-Based Solid Polymer Electrolytes," Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey and Janna K. Maranas, Macromolecules 42, 2142 (2009)
- "Structure and Mobility of PEO/LiClO4 Solid Polymer Electrolytes Filled with Al2O3 Nanoparticles," Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey and Janna K. Maranas, J. Phys. Chem. C 114, 9196 (2010)
- "Reconfigurable Ion Gating of 2H-MoTe2 Field-Effect Transistors Using Poly(ethylene oxide)-CsClO4 Solid Polymer Electrolyte," Huilong Xu, Sara Fathipour, Erich W. Kinder, Alan C. Seabaugh, and Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey, ACS Nano 9, 4900 (2015)
- "2D materials advances: from large scale synthesis and controlled heterostructures to improved characterization techniques, defects and applications," Zhong Lin, Amber McCreary, Natalie Briggs, Shruti Subramanian, Kehao Zhang, Yifan Sun, Xufan Li, Nicholas J Borys , Hongtao Yuan, Susan K Fullerton-Shirey et al., 2D Mater. 3 042001 (2016)
- "Influence of Fe2O3 Nanofiller Shape on the Conductivity and Thermal Properties of Solid Polymer Electrolytes: Nanorods versus Nanospheres," Nhu Suong T. Do, Dean M. Schaetz, Barnali Dey, Alan C. Seabaugh, and Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey, J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 21216 (2012)
- "Tuning the Electronic and Photonic Properties of Monolayer MoS2 via In Situ Rhenium Substitutional Doping, Kehao Zhang, Brian M. Bersch, Jaydeep Joshi, Raﬁk Addou, Christopher R. Cormier, Chenxi Zhang, Ke Xu, Natalie C. Briggs, Ke Wang, Shruti Subramanian, Kyeongjae Cho, Susan Fullerton-Shirey, Robert M. Wallace, Patrick M. Vora, and Joshua A. Robinson, Adv. Funct. Mater.,1706950 (2018)
- "Realizing Large-Scale, Electronic-Grade Two-Dimensional Semiconductors," Yu-Chuan Lin, Bhakti Jariwala, Brian M. Bersch, Ke Xu, Yifan Nie, Baoming Wang, Sarah M. Eichfeld, Xiaotian Zhang, Tanushree H. Choudhury, Yi Pan, Rafik Addou, Christopher M. Smyth, Jun Li, Kehao Zhang, M. Aman Haque, Stefan Fölsch, Randall M. Feenstra, Robert M. Wallace, Kyeongjae Cho, Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey, Joan M. Redwing, and Joshua A. Robinson, ACS Nano January 23, 2018
- "Deconvoluting the Photonic and Electronic Response of 2D Materials: The Case of MoS2," Kehao Zhang, Nicholas J. Borys, Brian M. Bersch, Ganesh R. Bhimanapati, Ke Xu, Baoming Wang, Ke Wang, Michael Labella,Teague A. Williams, Md Amanul. Haque, Edward S. Barnard, Susan Fullerton-Shirey, P. James Schuck, Joshua A. Robinson, Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 16938 (2017)
- "Properties of synthetic Epitaxial Graphene/Molybdenum Disulfide Lateral Heterostructures," Shruti Subramanian, Donna Deng†, Ke Xu, Nicholas Simonson, Ke Wang, Kehao Zhang, Jun Li, Randall Feenstra , Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey , Joshua A. Robinson, Carbon,125, 551 (2017)
- "Increasing the Room-Temperature Electric Double Layer Retention Time in Two-Dimensional Crystal FETs," Erich W. Kinder, Ashley Fuller, Yu-Chuan Lin, Joshua A. Robinson, and Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 9 , 25006 (2017)
"Uniform large-area growth of nanotemplated high-quality monolayer MoS2," Justin R. Young, Michael Chilcote, Matthew Barone, Jinsong Xu, Jyoti Katoch, Yunqiu Kelly Luo, Sara Mueller, Thaddeus J. Asel, Susan K. Fullerton-Shirey, Roland Kawakami, Jay A. Gupta, Leonard J. Brillson, and Ezekiel Johnston-Halperin, Appl. Phys. Lett. 110, 263103 (2017)