Dr. Jacobs' current and near-term research interests combine mechanical testing with in situ, high-resolution electron microscopy techniques to make fundamental contributions in three thrust areas:
(1) investigating the mechanics of interfacial contact in emerging nanoscale applications, including understanding the connections between contact mechanics and functional properties, such as electrical contact resistance;
(2) exploring deformation and failure in nanoscale materials for extreme environments, such as those in next-generation energy applications; and
(3) interrogating differences in mechanical properties between crystalline and disordered systems, with the particular focus on disentangling differences due to structure from those due to chemistry.
- "Nanoscale wear as a stress-assisted chemical reaction," Tevis D. B. Jacobs & Robert W. Carpick, Nature Nanotechnology 8, 108 (2013)
- "The Effect of Atomic-Scale Roughness on the Adhesion of Nanoscale Asperities: A Comb," Tevis D. B. Jacobs, Kathleen E. Ryan, Pamela L. Keating, David S. Grierson, Joel A. Lefever, Kevin T. Turner, Judith A. Harrison, Robert W. Carpick, Tribol Lett 50, 81 (2013)
- "On the Application of Transition State Theory to Atomic-Scale Wear," Tevis D. B. Jacobs, Bernd Gotsmann, Mark A. Lantz, Robert W. Carpick, Tribol Lett 39, 25 (2010)
- "Wear-Resistant Diamond Nanoprobe Tips with Integrated Silicon Heater for Tip-Based Nanomanufacturing," Patrick C. Fletcher, Jonathan R. Felts, Zhenting Dai, Tevis D. Jacobs, ACS Nano 4, 3338 (2010)
- "Quantitative Characterization of Surface Typography Using Sprectral Analysis" TDB Jacobs, T Junge, L Pastewka Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties 5 (1), 013001
- Khanal, Subarna R., Abhijeet Gujrati, Sai Bharadwaj Vishnubhotla, Pawel Nowakowski, Cecile S. Bonifacio, Lars Pastewka, and Tevis DB Jacobs. "Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties." SURFACE TOPOGRAPHY-METROLOGY AND PROPERTIES 6, no. 4 (2018).
- "Characterizing surface finish and fatigue behavior in binder-jet 3D-printed nickel-based superalloy 625," Amir Mostafaei, S. Harsha Vardhan R. Neelapu, Cameron Kisailus, Lauren M. Nath, Tevis D.B. Jacobs, Markus Chmielus, Additive Manufacturing (2018).
- "Quantitative measurement of contact area and electron transport across platinum nanocontacts for scanning probe microscopy and electrical nanodevices." Vishnubhotla, Sai Bharadwaj, Rimei Chen, Subarna R. Khanal, Jing Li, Eric A. Stach, Ashlie Martini, and Tevis DB Jacobs. Nanotechnology 30, no. 4 (2018): 045705.
- "A simple atomic force microscope-based method for quantifying wear of sliding probes." Flater, Erin E., Jared D. Barnes, Jesse A. Hitz Graff, Jayse M. Weaver, Naveed Ansari, Aimee R. Poda, W. Robert Ashurst, Subarna R. Khanal, and Tevis DB Jacobs. Review of Scientific Instruments 89, no. 11 (2018): 113708.
- "Understanding contact between platinum nanocontacts at low loads: The effect of reversible plasticity." Vishnubhotla, Sai Bharadwaj, Rimei Chen, Subarna R. Khanal, Ashlie Martini, and Tevis DB Jacobs. Nanotechnology 30, no. 3 (2018): 035704.