Dr. Jacobs' current and near-term research interests combine mechanical testing with in situ, high-resolution electron microscopy techniques to make fundamental contributions in three thrust areas:
(1) investigating the mechanics of interfacial contact in emerging nanoscale applications, including understanding the connections between contact mechanics and functional properties, such as electrical contact resistance;
(2) exploring deformation and failure in nanoscale materials for extreme environments, such as those in next-generation energy applications; and
(3) interrogating differences in mechanical properties between crystalline and disordered systems, with the particular focus on disentangling differences due to structure from those due to chemistry.
- "Nanoscale wear as a stress-assisted chemical reaction," Tevis D. B. Jacobs & Robert W. Carpick, Nature Nanotechnology 8, 108 (2013)
- "The Effect of Atomic-Scale Roughness on the Adhesion of Nanoscale Asperities: A Comb," Tevis D. B. Jacobs, Kathleen E. Ryan, Pamela L. Keating, David S. Grierson, Joel A. Lefever, Kevin T. Turner, Judith A. Harrison, Robert W. Carpick, Tribol Lett 50, 81 (2013)
- "On the Application of Transition State Theory to Atomic-Scale Wear," Tevis D. B. Jacobs, Bernd Gotsmann, Mark A. Lantz, Robert W. Carpick, Tribol Lett 39, 25 (2010)
- "Wear-Resistant Diamond Nanoprobe Tips with Integrated Silicon Heater for Tip-Based Nanomanufacturing," Patrick C. Fletcher, Jonathan R. Felts, Zhenting Dai, Tevis D. Jacobs, ACS Nano 4, 3338 (2010)
- "Quantitative Characterization of Surface Typography Using Sprectral Analysis" TDB Jacobs, T Junge, L Pastewka Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties 5 (1), 013001
- "Insights into tribology from in situ nanoscale experiments," TDB Jacobs, C Greiner, KJ Wahl, and RW Carpick. MRS Bulletin 44.6 (2019)
- "Computational model of shoe wear progression: Comparison with experimental results," SRM Moghaddam, SL Hemler, MS Redfern, TDB Jacobs, and KE Beshorner. Wear 422 (2019)
- "Influence of Elastic Modulus of a Soft Elastomer on Adhesion to Rough Surfaces," S Dalvi, A Gujrati, A Dhinojwala, T Jacobs, and L Pastewka. APS Meeting Abstracts (2019)
- "Simulations of the effect of an oxide on contact area measurements from conductive atomic force microscopy." Rimei Chen, Sai Bharadwaj, Tevis DB Jacobs, Ashlie Martini. Nanoscale 11.3 (2019)
- "Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties." Khanal, Subarna R., Abhijeet Gujrati, Sai Bharadwaj Vishnubhotla, Pawel Nowakowski, Cecile S. Bonifacio, Lars Pastewka, and Tevis DB Jacobs. SURFACE TOPOGRAPHY-METROLOGY AND PROPERTIES 6, no. 4 (2018).