Dr. Purdy is interested in harnessing the quantum effects intrinsic in the mechanical interaction of light with macroscopic mechanical resonators to improve measurement and metrology. Previously, Dr. Purdy worked as a physicist in the Quantum Optics Group, Quantum Measurement Division, PML at NIST. Before joining NIST, Dr. Purdy has worked on a wide variety of optomechanical systems as a postdoctoral researcher at JILA and in his graduate work at UC Berkeley.
- Andrews, Reed W., Robert W. Peterson, Tom P. Purdy, Katarina Cicak, Raymond W. Simmonds, Cindy A. Regal, and Konrad W. Lehnert. "Bidirectional and efficient conversion between microwave and optical light." Nature Physics 10, no. 4 (2014): 321.
- Gupta, S., K. W. Murch, K. L. Moore, T. P. Purdy, and D. M. Stamper-Kurn. "Bose-Einstein condensation in a circular waveguide." Physical review letters 95, no. 14 (2005): 143201.
- Purdy, Tom P., Robert W. Peterson, and C. A. Regal. "Observation of radiation pressure shot noise on a macroscopic object." Science 339, no. 6121 (2013): 801-804.
- Purdy, Thomas P., P-L. Yu, R. W. Peterson, N. S. Kampel, and C. A. Regal. "Strong optomechanical squeezing of light." Physical Review X 3, no. 3 (2013): 031012.
- Brooks, Daniel WC, Thierry Botter, Sydney Schreppler, Thomas P. Purdy, Nathan Brahms, and Dan M. Stamper-Kurn. "Non-classical light generated by quantum-noise-driven cavity optomechanics." Nature 488, no. 7412 (2012): 476.
- "Measuring Thermal Acoustic Radiation with an Optomechanical Antenna." Singh, Robinjeet, and Thomas P. Purdy. In 2018 IEEE Photonics Conference (IPC), pp. 1-2. IEEE, 2018.
- "Optomechanical Quantum Thermometry." Purdy, T.P., Singh, R., Klimov, N.N., (...), Srinivasan, K., Taylor, J.M. 2018 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics, CLEO (2018).
- "Towards replacing resistance thermometry with photonic thermometry." Klimov, N., Purdy, T., Ahmed, Z. Sensors and Actuators, A: Physical 269. (2018).
- "Quantum-based vacuum metrology at the National Institute of Standards and Technology." Scherschligt, Julia, James A. Fedchak, Zeeshan Ahmed, Daniel S. Barker, Kevin Douglass, Stephen Eckel, Edward Hanson et al. Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A: Vacuum, Surfaces, and Films 36, no. 4 (2018): 040801.
- "Quantum correlations from a room-temperature optomechanical cavity." Purdy, T. P., K. E. Grutter, K. Srinivasan, and J. M. Taylor. Science 356, no. 6344 (2017): 1265-1268.