Our research is focused on the exploration of novel magnetic & spintronic materials for memory, logic, and HDD storage applications. We concentrate on the development of thin films & nanoscale devices that will enable improved energy efficiency, non-volatility, and scalability to ever-decreasing dimensions. Current research efforts include crystallographic & microstructural characterization of perpendicular magnetic recording media, materials for spin hall effect devices, spin transfer torque magneto-resistive random access memory (STT-MRAM), and magnetic interactions in soft nanogranular composite thin films.
- "Optimization of Ta thickness for perpendicular magnetic tunnel junction applications in the MgO-FeCoB-Ta system," Vincent Sokalski, Matthew T. Moneck, En Yang, and Jian-Gang Zhu, Appl. Phy. Lett. 101, 072411 (2012)
- "Energetic molding of chiral magnetic bubbles," Vincent Sokalski, Derek Lau, Vignesh Sundar, and Jian-Gang Zhu, Physical Review B, 94 060401 (2016)
- "Experimental modeling of intergranular exchange coupling for perpendicular thin film media," Vincent Sokalski, David E. Laughlin, and Jian-Gang Zhu, Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 102507 (2009)
- "Experimental demonstration of four-terminal magnetic logic device with separate read-and write-paths." DM Bromberg, MT Moneck, VM Sokalski, J Zhu, L Pileggi, JG Zhu Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 2014 IEEE International
- "Dispersive stiffness of Dzyaloshinskii domain walls," JP Pellegren, D Lau, and V Sokalski. Physical Review Letters 119.2 (2017)
- "Lorentz TEM investigation of chiral spin textures and Neel Skyrmions in asymmetric [Pt/(Co/Ni)M/Ir]N multi-layer thin films,"M Li, D Lau, M De Graef, and V Sokalski. Physical Review Materials 3.6 (2019)
- "Magnetic domain wall skyrmions," R Cheng, M Li, A Sapkota, A Rai, A Pokhrel, T Mewes, C Mewes, D Xiao, M De Graef, and V Sokalski. Physical Review B 99.18 (2019)
- "The interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction and spin-orbit torque driven domain wall motion in CO/Ni multi-layers with a Pt x (Ir, Au) 1- x seedlayer," D Lau and V Sokalski. AIP Advances 9.3 (2019)
- "Simultaneous control of interlayer exchange coupling and the interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in Ru-based synthetic antiferromagnets." Prudnikov, Aleksandr, Maxwell Li, Marc De Graef, and Vincent Sokalski. IEEE Magnetics Letters (2018).
- "Disentangling factors governing Dzyaloshinskii domain wall creep in Co/Ni thin films using PtxIr1−x seedlayers," D. Lau, J.P. Pellegren, H.T. Nembach, J.M. Shaw, and V. Sokalski, arXiv:1808.05520v1