Our research is focused on the exploration of novel magnetic & spintronic materials for memory, logic, and HDD storage applications. We concentrate on the development of thin films & nanoscale devices that will enable improved energy efficiency, non-volatility, and scalability to ever-decreasing dimensions. Current research efforts include crystallographic & microstructural characterization of perpendicular magnetic recording media, materials for spin hall effect devices, spin transfer torque magneto-resistive random access memory (STT-MRAM), and magnetic interactions in soft nanogranular composite thin films.
- "Optimization of Ta thickness for perpendicular magnetic tunnel junction applications in the MgO-FeCoB-Ta system," Vincent Sokalski, Matthew T. Moneck, En Yang, and Jian-Gang Zhu, Appl. Phy. Lett. 101, 072411 (2012)
- "Experimental modeling of intergranular exchange coupling for perpendicular thin film media," Vincent Sokalski, David E. Laughlin, and Jian-Gang Zhu, Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 102507 (2009)
- "Characterization of Oxide Materials for Exchange Decoupling in Perpendicular Thin Film Media," V. M. Sokalski, J. G. Zhu and D. E. Laughlin, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 46, 2260 (2010)
- Experimental demonstration of four-terminal magnetic logic device with separate read-and write-paths DM Bromberg, MT Moneck, VM Sokalski, J Zhu, L Pileggi, JG Zhu Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 2014 IEEE International
- "Energetic molding of chiral magnetic bubbles," Vincent Sokalski, Derek Lau, Vignesh Sundar, and Jian-Gang Zhu, Physical Review B, 94 060401 (2016)
- "Towards simultaneous control of interlayer exchange coupling and the interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in Ru-based synthetic antiferromagnets." Prudnikov, Aleksandr, Maxwell Li, Marc De Graef, and Vincent Sokalski. IEEE Magnetics Letters (2018).
- "Lorentz TEM investigation of chiral spin textures and N\'eel Skyrmions in asymmetric [Pt/(Co/Ni)M /Ir] N multi-layer thin films." Li, Maxwell, Derek Lau, Marc De Graef, and Vincent Sokalski. arXiv preprint arXiv:1811.02012 (2018).
- "Magnetic domain wall Skyrmions," Ran Cheng, Maxwell Li, Arjun Sapkota, Anish Rai, Ashok Pokhrel, Tim Mewes, Claudia Mewes, Di Xiao, Marc De Graef, and Vincent Sokalski, arXiv:1809.02730v1 (2018).
- "Disentangling factors governing Dzyaloshinskii domain wall creep in Co/Ni thin films using PtxIr1−x seedlayers," D. Lau, J.P. Pellegren, H.T. Nembach, J.M. Shaw, and V. Sokalski, arXiv:1808.05520v1
- "Dispersive stiffness of Dzyaloshinskii domain walls," J. P. Pellegren, D. Lau, and V. Sokalski, Phys. Rev. Lett. (2018).